PowerPoint from Windows to Mac with Nisus Writer Pro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Orientalist

PowerPoint from Windows to Mac with Nisus Writer Pro

Post by Orientalist »

I have also some bilingual (Arabic-German) PowerPoint presentations written on PC. After copying these things to Mac with (Nisus Writer Pro) the presentations are displayed in the Microsoft Power Point for Mac (in Office 2008). Here again: only the Arabic texts ae not correct shown.
I have tried to save the presentations on different ways (don't ask me which ways) but it does not work: not even as PDF.

How can I make the arabic texts readable?

Thank you all
Hamid

Re: PowerPoint from Windows to Mac with Nisus Writer Pro

Post by Hamid »

Microsoft Office applications (programmes) such as Word, PowerPoint etc., do not support Arabic on the Mac OS. On the Mac they can only display Arabic characters as isolated letters. This is because these applications do not use features of Mac OS’s text engine which convey the information necessary to display the correct contextual selection of the glyphs of Arabic characters. By ‘contextual selection’ I mean the various forms of the same Arabic characters according to their position within a word: initial, medial, final, and isolated with their respective ligatures where applicable. On the PC the same Microsoft Office applications display Arabic text properly because they use the Windows OS’s text engine which provides them what is needed to display Arabic correctly.

For PowerPoint files containing Arabic text created on PC, you can use NeoOffice on the Mac to open the same files. NeoOffice displays the Arabic text of .ppt files correctly. Just use NeoOffice to open .ppt files instead of PowerPoint.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

If you don't have NeoOffice on your machine, you can download it from:

NeoOffice 3.1.1
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/mai ... p#download

To add Arabic support to NeoOffice, download the Arabic pack:
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/lan ... wnload.php
Orientalist

Post by Orientalist »

Done! Thank you.

Does it mean, that I should copy the presentation now into NeoOffice?

رمضان مبارك

Orientalist
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You do not have to copy anything. Instead of opening a .ppt file in PowerPoint, you open it in NeoOffice. It is as if the file was created in NeoOffice on your Mac!
To open one .ppt file in NeoOffice instead of the file's default application, Right-click (or Control-click) on the file's icon in the Finder. A drop-down menu will present a list of applications for you to select:
OpenWith.png
OpenWith.png (51.99 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
Select NeoOffice from this list as shown in the screen shot.

Thank you for your kind wishes.
Orientalist

Post by Orientalist »

Hamid:

you are great! Many many thanks indeed.

What I still could not realise correctly is the installation of the transcripton of Arabic in Roman characters (on my old Mac I had something made in by private).
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

On Mac OS X you don’t need to have fonts especially made for transcription which only you and others who had the particular font could view correctly.
There are already fonts on your computer which have the glyphs to display the characters we need, like ʿ ā ḍ ḥ ī ḳ ṣ ṭ ū ʾ etc. (If you copy ʿ ā ḍ ḥ ī ḳ ṣ ṭ ū ʾ and paste them in NWP, a font on your machine will be able to display the characters correctly).
They can be viewed on any platform.
Orientalist

Post by Orientalist »

Well, I can not fin any of these fonts with these additions. :oops:
Orientalist

Post by Orientalist »

Now, on the same way I have copied some old Nisus doc. from my PowerBook to the MacBook Pro on a stick.
I can not open it with Neooffice: I have an icon "Terminal" (black) what I have never seen before.
It is not a PP- doc. but a Nisus 6.4 written doc. all in Arabic. People in Beirut can not open it, so I have to send it as PDF or Neo Office, but I can not transfer it again. What happend here?

Orientalist
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Is your stick PC formatted?
If it is, then it is very likely that the resources fork of your Nisus Classic files is lost.
If you format the stick for Mac, there should be no problem.
Orientalist

Post by Orientalist »

It is a stick for the Mac I I had transferred docs already. Now I just try it by a CD....
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You can zip the Nisus Classic documents and then copy the compressed files to the stick.