Two instances (windows) of the same file

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jijja

Two instances (windows) of the same file

Post by jijja »

In Nisus, we can split a window to edit a file in two places. In MS Word, one can open a new window for a file, allowing editing of a file in two places, but with an entire page viewed at the same time, side by side, or three windows or more, and depending upon your screen space, multiple parts of the file can be edited at once.

Sadly for me, to edit a complex document I often need to open at least two instances of a document for editing. Therefore, Nisus, at this time, cannot fully replace MS Word (for me). I have submitted a feature request for this, and I am posting this in the hope that others will so so as well. Perhaps this is difficult to implement, and that is why Nisus does not provide it, or perhaps there is insufficient interest.

I hope others will request this feature and save me from having to purchase yet another Word upgrade when my current 32 bit (2011) version finally breaks.
TXLogic

Re: Two instances (windows) of the same file

Post by TXLogic »

Strongly second this feature request. I get Word for free through my university but prefer the speed and elegance of Nisus for course notes, letters, memos, etc. Unfortunately, for more serious work I have to be able to open multiple windows on the same file and so Nisus's lack of this feature is a dealbreaker; to my mind, it won't be living up to the "Pro" label until it implements it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Two instances (windows) of the same file

Post by martin »

Thank you for letting us know this feature is important to you. Split View does indeed already allow similar types of editing and workflows, but we can understand why some users might prefer to have multiple windows open for the same document.