Changing the default formatting of Comments

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JapanRich

Changing the default formatting of Comments

Post by JapanRich »

My dilemma is that the default formatting of comments in a new document is "fill justified" when I want it to be left justified, and I have to change every single comment's formatting every time. I searched the forums and found something about setting the default, but couldn't figure out how to make it work for me. I would love a clear explanation of how to do what I want Nisus to do. Much obliged for good hints!
Þorvarður

Re: Changing the default formatting of Comments

Post by Þorvarður »

Last edited by Þorvarður on 2019-05-10 11:15:51, edited 2 times in total.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Þorvarður's suggested steps won't work because every comment can have its own separate formatting, just as every paragraph in your document can have separate formatting. Even if you manually configure one comment to have the desired formatting, any other new comments you create afterwards will start with the default formatting again.

There is however an easy solution: adjust your document's Comment style. By default whenever you create a new comment Nisus Writer will apply the paragraph style with the name "Comment". So, unless you've manually removed that style or otherwise applied formatting overrides, here's how you can format all comments in your document at once:

1. Switch to your style sheet, eg: use the menu View > Style Sheet.
2. From the list of styles on the left, select the "Comment" style.
3. Apply whatever formatting you want (eg: align left).
4. Switch back to the regular document view (eg: Draft View) and all your comments should have been automatically updated

If you have a particular way you'd always like new comments to appear in all new documents that you create, then you should adjust your Nisus New File template. If you customize the "Comment" paragraph style in your template, then that style will govern new comments in new documents.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello Martin,
Thank you very much for correcting me. I changed the way my comments look like to Times 7 a long time ago, but obviously I had forgotten how I did it. :oops:

Looking at my "Comment" style now, I see it looks exactly as I want it to be; so I must have changed that style back then.

Thanks again.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

No problem Þorvarður, thanks for always being helpful! :)
JapanRich

Post by JapanRich »

Thank you, Martin!
I had never clicked on "Style Sheet" in the View menu before. So that's where I had to look!
I think I've been able to save my preferred Comment format settings in the Nisus New File.dot file, so it should be clear sailing from here on out!
JapanRich