Arrow jitter in tables

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tonyfromchicago

Arrow jitter in tables

Post by tonyfromchicago »

After creating and filling (completely or not) a table, then leaving and going back to the table, the arrow/pointer/cursor starts to jitter like crazy and movement is very jerky and slow. Weirder still, I attempted to do a QuickTime screen movie of it and...while the described behavior is visible on the monitor, the QT movie shows only smooth, slow cursor movement.

This happens only when the open document is on the monitor; moving the document to the MacBook screen solves the problem. So, obviously it's not really a Nisus Writer problem, but it only happens with NW. Neither Pages nor Word exhibit the jitter.

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 (latest Mojave) hooked to a 27" Dell monitor via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub. This happens when using a mouse (Apple or Logitech) or an outboard Apple Trackpad.

Any ideas?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Arrow jitter in tables

Post by martin »

I unfortunately don't have any explanations or solutions for you, however I do recall at least one other customer writing to us about this problem in the past. As with you, the effect was limited to situations involving tables and a secondary monitor. The other customer complained about mouse cursor slowdowns, not jitter, but the effect sounds very similar.

Ultimately this is probably a system or driver problem. Nisus Writer uses standard techniques for customizing the way the mouse responds in particular regions of the screen, like table borders. The problem is mostly likely an issue with mouse cursor hotspot functionality provided by macOS. The other customer eventually noticed problems in other apps too (OmniFocus).

I'm sorry I don't have a more satisfying response for you.
tonyfromchicago

Re: Arrow jitter in tables

Post by tonyfromchicago »

Thanks much for the response.Didn't expect a quick fix on this one.