removing attribute overrides in Footnote Note Style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
shmuel

removing attribute overrides in Footnote Note Style

Post by shmuel »

I have opened in NWP a large RTF file prepared in a different word processor. There are 500 footnotes in that file, and they should all be styled in the same way (obviously).

Now the formatting of the first 485 of these follows the Footnote Note Style, which is good, but for some reason the last 15 footnotes are shown with a font override. I cannot see any way to remove this override. How can I remove overrides in footnotes?

I'm new to NWP (and so far I like it very much), and I'm trying to understand how it really works. I'd appreciate any help!
Attachments
Footnote_overrides.png
Footnote_overrides.png (208.63 KiB) Viewed 8254 times
phspaelti

Re: removing attribute overrides in Footnote Note Style

Post by phspaelti »

Hello Shmuel and welcome to Nisus,
The first thing to be aware of is that the Note Style "Footnote" does not really have anything to with the text styling of the footnotes, but rather it determines other aspects of the footnote such as numbering etc. You can apply any other kind of text formatting you want to the footnotes including paragraph styles.
So you might want to create a footnote specific Paragraph Style and then apply it to all your footnotes (this can be easily done in one operation). You could then use this style to give them uniform font and font size, for example.
philip
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Philip, thank you so much for this. Do you know that in all my years of using Nisus Writer (Pro), it had always puzzled me why "Footnote Style" did not appear on the style lists, and why, on opening RTFs from Scrivener, I had to select all footnotes and set the style parameters I want! At least I now know to set my own style that I can apply quickly.

But can I ask you, as a real expert, is there a way to select all footnotes without having to move the cursor into a footnote first, perhaps using a macro?

Many thanks. :)

Mark
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

xiamenese wrote: 2019-10-25 07:30:02 But can I ask you, as a real expert, is there a way to select all footnotes without having to move the cursor into a footnote first, perhaps using a macro?
The normal way to do this would indeed be to click in a footnote and then do "Select All" twice. (The first selects, the note, the second selects all notes.) But you seem to want to avoid having to click in the note first.

[Aside: In NWP v. 3 the notes are visible at the end of the document in Draft View as well, where they can easily be selected all in one go.]

If clicking in a Note first is too much work :wink: , you can write a macro to select the notes like this:

Code: Select all

$doc = Document.active
$doc.setSelection $doc.footnotes[0].fullText
NB: This is a "quick and dirty" macro. It will fail if you don't have any footnotes. A better macro would check first.
philip
shmuel

Post by shmuel »

Thank you, philip. This makes sense, and it worked very well (didn't know about the benefits of clicking Select All twice!).
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Yes, thank you again, Philip.

I'm not adverse to clicking in the footnote area, but I have a macro—thanks to a lot of work and help from Martin!—that imports a style sheet, marks all the Chinese and English as being in the appropriate languages and does various other cleaning up operations, so @shmuel's posting and your answer made me wonder about trying to create a macro that could be called by my main one to sort out the footnote style at the same time.

I'll give it some thought.

Mark