File Kind “Nisus Writer Glossary"

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
adryan

File Kind “Nisus Writer Glossary"

Post by adryan »

G'day, all

I have just now noticed that, when I save a new untitled NWP file with Format "Rich Text Format (RTF)", the file is saved with Kind set to "Nisus Writer Glossary" rather than to "rich text format (RTF)” which I think it always has been in the past.

I see a few of my existing files with Kind still set to "Rich Text Format (RTF)", but most are now "Nisus Writer Glossary".

Have I been missing this all along, or has something changed?

All these files have file extension ".rtf".

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: File Kind “Nisus Writer Glossary"

Post by martin »

Hi Adrian: the quick answer is that you shouldn't worry about it much. What "kind" label is displayed by macOS and the Finder doesn't really matter. Nisus Writer and other apps really only care about the file extension and the data inside the file. That's going to be .rtf / RTF, even if the Finder incorrectly thinks they're glossary files.

I'm not sure why you're seeing files incorrectly labelled this way. That's up to the system, based on information it derives from Nisus Writer. We declare certain file extensions as having certain labels. The glossary file label is declared as having a file extension of .ngloss, and thus should not be shown for .rtf files.

Most likely the problem is that your system "launch services database" is confused. You might read this article that describes the database and goes into some details on how you might reset it. I hope that helps.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Martin et al

Thanks for the reply, Martin.

I read the article you referred me to (thanks) and ran Onyx, which was one of the suggested maneuvers, but no change to the Kind.

Faced with a choice between Martin's "Fret not" advice and wielding the Terminal scalpel to perform more major neurosurgery on my computer than I'm comfortable with, I think I'll opt for the former.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
nev

Post by nev »

I'm experiencing this as well. I save an .rtf file, and the Finder (and DEVONthink) 'describes' it by 'Kind' as a "Nisus Writer Glossary" file.

Furthermore, if such a file is saved into DEVONthink, it isn't editable in that application, as RTFs normally are (and it's not locked in Finder, I checked).

I have to make use of DEVONthink's command to 'convert the file to rtf' (even though it seems it already is rtf). Then that converted file is editable in DEVONthink.

Furthermore, when I look at the original file and the converted file in the Finder, the original is, as before, listed as "Nisus Writer Glossary" but the converted one is listed as .rtf.

I may have to set up a 'smart rule' in DEVONthink, so that, when apparent rtfs from Nisus are imported, but which are 'really' "Nisus Writer Glossary" files, they get converted as above, and the original deleted.

So it's all a bit problematic and inconvenient.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I have just now noticed that, when I save a new untitled NWP file with Format "Rich Text Format (RTF)", the file is saved with Kind set to "Nisus Writer Glossary" rather than to "rich text format (RTF)” which I think it always has been in the past.
Hello Adryan,
I have seen this too, but I think this happens only in v3.0.4. This doesn't happen in v3.0.3 and v3.1.
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello nev,
I'm experiencing this as well. I save an .rtf file, and the Finder (and DEVONthink) 'describes' it by 'Kind' as a "Nisus Writer Glossary" file.
As I already said, this goes away if we use v3.0.3 or v3.1.

What I still find a bit irritating is that a RTF file, created in NWP v3.0.3 or v3.1, and saved into DEVONthink is still not editable in that application although the Finder and DEVONthink describe it by 'Kind' as a "rich text (RTF)" file.

Perhaps we should not be complaining after all, because this is in fact exactly what the experienced user wants: prevent DEVONthink from tampering with imported RTF files (from Nisus).
I have to make use of DEVONthink's command to 'convert the file to rtf' (even though it seems it already is rtf). Then that converted file is editable in DEVONthink.
Yep, I can confirm that. But did you notice that the file was drastically changed? The special features (footnotes and styles) are now all missing, and the file size is down to 1/3 of the original size!
I may have to set up a 'smart rule' in DEVONthink, so that, when apparent rtfs from Nisus are imported, but which are 'really' "Nisus Writer Glossary" files, they get converted as above, and the original deleted.
Don't do that! Unless you want to dig your own grave…
Instead, look at the screenshot and create a Smart Rule as described here:
https://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11714
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Þorvarður et al

Yes, I would have been using NWP 3.0.4 at the time. I haven't had a problem with NWP 3.1.

I don't use DEVONthink, but Þorvarður's concluding remarks embody a salutary caution in a broader context. I would never delete the original file of an important document in the expectation that some automatically invoked conversion process will do precisely what I want it to do, with respect to both completeness and accuracy.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

Yes, I would have been using NWP 3.0.4 at the time. I haven't had a problem with NWP 3.1.
Thanks for your confirmation, Adryan.