Single-page defeat of Footnote "one note per line"?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
withoutFeathers

Single-page defeat of Footnote "one note per line"?

Post by withoutFeathers »

Hi,
I have a long book with 60 or more pages that have footnotes. About half those pages have multiple footnotes on a page.

I have "One Note per line" checked, and this is the best option in almost all cases.

But: what is the best way to defeat this on a single page with 6 footnoted citations on that page? On that page I want the Notes all to follow in a single paragraph in the footnote.

So far my guess is:
1. Only have a single actual footnote on that page.
2. Put pseudo-citation numbers in the text where the other 5 citation numbers would have gone.
3. Place all the text manually in a paragraph inside that one footnote.

That will work I think, but it's a long way around and hard to update if I edit part of the text; so it would be nice if there was an automatic/style way to do this defeat. Also it would be nice to have a shorter way to do this in case I decide to use it on one or two other separate pages.

I.e., It seems there should be possible to apply a style to a footnote page, perhaps within a section, to change "One Note per line". But if it's there I can't see how to do it.

wF
Using NWP v 2.1.10
phspaelti

Re: Single-page defeat of Footnote "one note per line"?

Post by phspaelti »

Rather than trying to defeat the footnoting mechanism, wouldn't it make more sense to just uncheck the 1 footnote per line option? Since as you say most pages only have 1 footnote you wouldn't see much difference? I was also thinking you might be able to force short footnotes on separate lines by judiciously adding returns at the end of the footnote text in some cases. When I tried this just now I got some unexpected results:
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.53.22 .png
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.53.22 .png (14.95 KiB) Viewed 8456 times
Here the first footnote has a return at the end. The second is strongly indented. This seems to be an effect from trying to accommodate some separation space after that last character (i.e. the return). Another alternative is to make the line of the short footnote longer using <option>-spaces or a tab.
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 9.06.57 .png
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 9.06.57 .png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 8456 times
philip
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

withoutFeathers wrote: 2019-12-13 11:59:35 It seems there should be possible to apply a style to a footnote page, perhaps within a section, to change "One Note per line".
Hello wF and Philip,

Yes, this is exactly the idea I had first. But as I went along, I think I might have discovered one or two bugs. Assume we are on the page with the 6 footnotes.
(1) Insert a section break (Same Page) after the last character on the page.
(2) Then go to the previous page and insert a section break (Same Page) after the last character on that page.
(3) Now change the document view to Style Sheet and scroll to "Note Styles."
(4) Select the Footnote style, press Command c and then Command v. You will be asked to rename the new pasted style. You can just accept the suggested name "Footnote 1"
1.png
1.png (15.15 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
(5) While "Footnote 1" is selected, disable the option "One Note Per Line" and go back to the Page View.
(6) Now select the 6 footnotes and right-click on the text. You'll see an option called "Convert to Footnote 1." Choose this option, and now all the 6 footnotes will be put on one line.
2.png
2.png (194.66 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
3.png
3.png (105.92 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
As we see, there are vast horizontal spaces between the notes. This really looks ugly. If I remember right, this was different in NWP version 2. Anyway, I can't find a way to reduce these spaces. Is this a bug?
If we now save, close and re-open the document, we can see that the style "Footnote 1" is gone and the 6 footnotes have reverted back to the style "Footnote." Is this a bug? If not, why does Nisus allow us to create "Footnote 1" in the first place? It doesn't make any sense.
The only way to retain "Footnote 1" and the 6 footnotes on one line is to save the document as PDF.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Þorvarður wrote: 2019-12-13 21:18:24 If we now save, close and re-open the document, we can see that the style "Footnote 1" is gone …
Nisus allows only one Footnote style (and one Endnote style) per document.
philip
withoutFeathers

Post by withoutFeathers »

phspaelti wrote: 2019-12-14 06:26:01
Þorvarður wrote: 2019-12-13 21:18:24 If we now save, close and re-open the document, we can see that the style "Footnote 1" is gone …
Nisus allows only one Footnote style (and one Endnote style) per document.
Thank you both. This is as I'd feared.

I suggest that Nisus could add this as a feature: being able to control footnote/endnote on a section basis.

@phspaelti

No, reversing and working from 'multiple notes per line' wouldn't work for me. As I said I have 30 pages that have multiple notes, and if I did that all of those would be changed to a form I don't want. At this point it's just 1 page of 6 notes that needs to go in the other direction. So perhaps it's best if I just bite the bullet and just mock up that one page with a single footnote that contains 5 pseudo-footnotes. Or just abandon it as too much trouble and live with a page that isn't perfectly what I want. :-o :wink:

wF
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

phspaelti wrote: 2019-12-14 06:26:01 Nisus allows only one Footnote style (and one Endnote style) per document.
Yes, unfortunatelly that seems to be the case.
I kindly ask Martin to file multiple footnote streams (like in Mellel) as a feature request. When editing text with footnotes it can be very useful to be able to distinguish between footnotes which the author made and my own footnotes, i.e. the footnotes made by the editor.