Problem importing images into NW file

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Frank Einstein

Problem importing images into NW file

Post by Frank Einstein »

This question concerns images in a book length manuscript.I am trying to incorporate old photographs (originally scanned) into a NW file. I started with Tiff files and converted them to jpg. I imported the jpgs into the NW file and thought all was good. But today when I checked the imported photographs, the formatting examiner palette reports that many are tiff files, which are much larger than I want.

Thinking that it might have been my mistake, I deleted the tiff images and re-imported jpg images. But the formatting examiner still reports them as tiff files, and larger than I want.

I tried saving the same tiff file as a pdf file, but when I imported the pdf file into NW, the formatting examiner shows it as a png file, which is larger than the pdf file I tried to import.

How do I import an image and have its keep the original file type?

Thanks in advance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Problem importing images into NW file

Post by martin »

Hi Frank: what you described is strange. When you insert an image file into a Nisus Writer document, its original data format should be preserved. At least that's true if you use the menu Insert > Image. Did you use that menu?

My suspicion is that maybe you copy-pasted these images, which can transform the data / format. That process has a variety of factors, including the source application and system version. Please try the Insert menu instead.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you're still having trouble
Frank Einstein

Post by Frank Einstein »

You are right. I did not use the Insert>Image command. I used copy/paste. So I have a lot of redoing ahead of me.

But thanks for the tip!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry for the extra work that you need to redo, but I'm glad that explains it.

One other tip: if you don't want to use the Insert menu, you can also drag-drop image files from the Finder. That too should preserve the image data and format. It's only copy-paste that can silently transform your image data.