Word Interoperability

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

greenmorpher wrote:And hang in there with NWE/Pro, that sweet interface will gradually get more of the "Word-like" features you want so that compatibility keeps moving up.
Uh-oh. I hope not. Word is a bloated carcass. I'd be very happy if NWPro just has excellent support for imported .doc items that match NWPro's feature set. Actually, NWPro pretty much already does this. Hooray for Nisus!

(and keep it slim!)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ryan wrote:
greenmorpher wrote:And hang in there with NWE/Pro, that sweet interface will gradually get more of the "Word-like" features you want so that compatibility keeps moving up.
Uh-oh. I hope not. Word is a bloated carcass. I'd be very happy if NWPro just has excellent support for imported .doc items that match NWPro's feature set. Actually, NWPro pretty much already does this. Hooray for Nisus!

(and keep it slim!)
I meant just sensible ones, Ryan. :lol: Not bloaty stuff. Things like a vertical ruler, the option of a fatter blinking cursor (but medium -- not grossly fat), and a little more work on the outliner and the font menu. That would about do me.

Now -- over on the Dartmouth list, Erik Richard has just published his findings of NWPro against a number of others in translation of a 98 Word for Mac doc. Ragtime was first, Word for Mac 2004 second, NWPro third, then MarinerWrite, TextEdit, NeoOffice, AppleWorks and Abiword.

I was surprised at his lowish ranking of NeoOffice. In a little test I did of a much lerss complete document than Erik's, I found NeoOffice did a perfect translation, although a little slow, NWPro, AppleWorks and Papyrus were all pretty much equal -- behind a little on accuracy (all three lost a box around the first paragraph) but faster than NeoOffice.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
MacAddict4Life

Post by MacAddict4Life »

NeoOffice and OpenOffice at large have an issue with some formatting that this company uses in EVERY document.