Line over signature

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Ted Walsh

Line over signature

Post by Ted Walsh »

Is it possible to draw a line over, rather than under, a word, as at the end of a letter?
gemboy27

certianly different

Post by gemboy27 »

wow, that is an interesting --- different question

and then subscripted it...

or made the line spacing .8, instead of 1
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There is no proper "overbar" feature at this point, but if it's just a letter you're working on, I think we've got a few options for you:

1. Add a table with a single cell that contains your signature. Configure the top border however you would like and make the other borders invisible.

2. In the paragraph preceding your signature insert a tab character. You can then add a leader tab to the ruler. Once the leader tab is placed you can double-click the tab marker to configure the leader to be a line of whatever style you prefer.
Ted Walsh

Line above word

Post by Ted Walsh »

Many thanks.
xiamenese

Re: Line above word

Post by xiamenese »

Ted Walsh wrote:Many thanks.
If you open the Character Palette, under phonetic symbols you can find "combining macron" which will put a macron over a single letter. If you then look in the related character pane, next to combining macron is "combining overline" ... that does the same thing but a point or so higher -- you can combine the two to get a double overline over a character. The availability of these is dependent on font though. They are unicode 00000300 for combining diacritical marks, with the macron being 0304 and the overline being 0305. Neither available in ISO-8859-1 apparently.
Mark
Hamid

Overline

Post by Hamid »

Ted Walsh wrote:Is it possible to draw a line over, rather than under, a word, as at the end of a letter?
If you need to overline a word or more which are on the same line and on which there won't be words without overline, you can use a workaround as follows:

Underline the words that you want to oveline; then select what you have underlined and apply the following command twelve times:

Format:Baseline:Lower Baseline

You can copy this command twelve times, each occurrence of the command separated by a Return, and save it as a Nisus Writer Pro macro with the extension nwm. When you apply the macro once, the underline will appear like overline.
TommyW

Post by TommyW »

Hamid, thank you. That's really cool.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Clever stuff, Hamid, as always. But not for use amid general text, however, because effectively, it leaves a blank line above it.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
TommyW

Post by TommyW »

Indeed. But it's perfect for a signature which what I immediately thought of.