rendering as PDF: live links in TOC and index

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
feat

rendering as PDF: live links in TOC and index

Post by feat »

Is there a way to render a document as PDF so that it would show its bookmarked items in the bookmark drawer?

And how can you make each item in the table of contents link to its original position in the document?

In other words, how can you build a live table of contents for PDF use, either in the document proper, or as a hierarchical bookmark list?

Also, can we build a live index just the same?

I know how to use Acrobat to do all this, but it would be far more convenient if Nisus Writer could do it in a straightforward way...
marc

Post by marc »

Unfortunately not; this is something I'd dearly like to see from NW, and unfortunately it's an area in which NeoOffice far exceeds NW.

In addition to exporting document links, Neo/OOo also provides access to an extensive set of PDF options inc encryption, print rights, zoom options etc. Arguably too much, but that's subjective, and certainly the UI could be simplified.

While it's a side issue, you can open your NW PDFs in Preview, and re-save the file with encryption.
ptram

Post by ptram »

I'm doing an extensive series of translations of technical manuals, to be then converted to PDF. While working in Nisus is simply fantastic (it is fast and really pleasant to use), when finished I am obliged to generate PDF documents in NeoOffice, to let it create live links.

Unfortunately, some of these documents have a rather complex layout, and moving them from Nisus to NeoOffice means having to heavily rework the layout.

I really would love Nisus to save live links to PDF files... Somewhere I read that there is a dedicated tool for developers to add this kind of function; I wonder if this is on the short list.

Paolo
Last edited by ptram on 2008-04-08 09:07:19, edited 1 time in total.
feat

Post by feat »

I'd be glad to know which tool can do this.

I'd also be glad if somebody knew about a tool I could use to turn the hierarchy of headings from a Nisus text file into similarly organized bookmarks — I've tried importing a Nisus RTF into NeoOffice, but the latter doesn't see Nisus heading styles as usable items for its TOC, hence won't convert them to bookmarks...

Working around this problem means pasting the headings only (as regular text), setting them to N.O. native headings, then tediously inserting the text again in between... unless I've missed something.
ptram

Post by ptram »

feat wrote:I'd be glad to know which tool can do this.
There are some of them appearing, when googling for 'PDF' and 'SDK'. I can't understand if they are viable solutions for Nisus or not.
I've tried importing a Nisus RTF into NeoOffice, but the latter doesn't see Nisus heading styles as usable items for its TOC, hence won't convert them to bookmarks...
Until I can't find a better solution, I simply re-edit NeoOffice's Heading styles. Cloning formats from imported text doesn't seem to work for me. Luckily, the kind of documents I work on with Nisus Writer, usually have just a couple levels of TOC.

Paolo
Rachmede

Post by Rachmede »

There is one strange thing...

Why bookmarks works for the nisus manuel ? I suppose they did write it using nisus ...

This problem really needs to be fixed, then NWP would be the only word processor I need.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Pdf Studio (http://www.qoppa.com/psindex.html) and Mac PDF Editor (http://sintraworks.com/) can do outlining at a fair price. The latter requires Leopard. If a full-featured, bank-breaking application is what you need, then get Adobe Acrobat (http://www.adobe.com).

Cheers, Henry.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Rachmede wrote:I suppose they did write it using nisus ...
Help was written in Nisus Writer Pro from which the pdf was created. You can verify this and other metadata in, for example:
Preview's 'Inspector' (Command-i), Adobe Reader's 'Properties' or Adobe Acrobat Professional's 'Document Properties' (Command-d).
Rachmede

Post by Rachmede »

Thank you for this information, but 60 $ is a bit expansive if you consider that I only need to be able to render a PDF with a live table of contents.

Also, the biggest issue is not only the problem of having to use an other application for doing that. My theses will probably have around 500 pages, so you can imagine how long it will take only to render a usable PDF document.

So, I wish this feature will be added on the next update.
My mother tongue is French so please excuse my english... ;)
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

So Martin -

how comes?
Hamid wrote:
Rachmede wrote:I suppose they did write it using nisus ...
Help was written in Nisus Writer Pro from which the pdf was created. You can verify this and other metadata in, for example:
Preview's 'Inspector' (Command-i), Adobe Reader's 'Properties' or Adobe Acrobat Professional's 'Document Properties' (Command-d).
HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Rachmede

Post by Rachmede »

Rachmede wrote:There is one strange thing...

Why bookmarks works for the nisus manuel ? I suppose they did write it using nisus ...
I would like to make a correction. The help manuel does not have a "live TOC" but the bookmarks works in the bookmark drawer. This is exactly what I need.

Probably that other users would like to have a live TOC, but for me it would be "la cerise sur le sundae" (the cherry on the sundae ;) ).
Last edited by Rachmede on 2008-05-28 02:04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Acrobat requires an application that generates tags to create outlines on the fly. What these tags are I don't know exactly. I know it doesn't work with NWP, though.
I think NWP manual was converted using Quartz and then added the outline in another application. Acrobat doesn't change the info, as far as I know.

Henry
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Nisusians…
Groucho wrote:NWP manual was converted using Quartz and then added the outline in…
Acrobat.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Rachmede

Re: rendering as PDF: live links in TOC and index

Post by Rachmede »

And is there any plan to add this feature to NWP in an upcoming update ?
Groucho

Re:

Post by Groucho »

rmark wrote:Acrobat.
That's it!

Henry