strange en-dash behavior with courier fonts

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
samuelas

strange en-dash behavior with courier fonts

Post by samuelas »

Hello all,

I'm not sure how to phrase this question. In the courier font NWP produces a strange auto correct when I type "--" that conjoins the two characters when I press the space bar. That is, it seems to try to do an autocorrect of some kind. However, I have no such autocorrect set and it doesn't do this in other fonts.

Does anyone know what is the matter?

best,
Sam
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

I can't reproduce this. When I type "--" followed by a space bar in Courier, they remain as typed.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
samuelas

Post by samuelas »

Thanks for trying, Scott. A few weeks ago I would not have been able to reproduce this either. This issue has just recently cropped up. But it's driving me crazy.

Sam
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

I bet...what's really weird is that it only shows up in Courier...so that rules out any kind of QuickFix problem.

Hopefully Martin can help you out.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well -

I too can't reproduce this - it reminds me somehow of Publius' theorem on:
Derick wrote:Am I missing something or does NWP not automatically convert two dashes ( -- ) to an em-dash?
So in a way we had this before - did you do a count of the so-called "conjoint"?
Make sure it is not just a display thing. What Courier, at what size?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

If the document is not totally confidential, why not send it to the Solanums to look at using the bug reporting facility in the Help dialog?

By the way -- have you checked Quickfix? Although that would be very odd if it fixed something in only one font. Hmm -- forget that! Just report it as a bug.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
samuelas

Post by samuelas »

Thanks to all. I sent a sample text to Nisus. Although, perhaps they will not encounter see the problem--I opened the same document in Word and Mellel and it didn't have this issue!

Completely weird. Maybe I should re-download Nisus (and the courier font?) and see if that helps.