NWP Like App for Windows?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
craigminah

NWP Like App for Windows?

Post by craigminah »

I have been using NWE and now NWP for some time and sometimes stay in Windows XP. I find that using Word 2007 in Windows isn't efficient and was curious if anyone has found a program similar to NWE or NWP (or Mellel) that works in Windows for those times I'm stuck there.

Thanks.
Derick

Post by Derick »

WordPerfect. It's the best word processor on any system, but unfortunately only runs on Windows these days. New features in NWP 1.1 (mailmerge, comments) are bringing it up to speed with WP 5.1 for DOS.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Mate, they are bringing NWP up to speed with NW Classic v.4.1 !!!

But NW Classic 4.1 was still ahead -- it had a vertical ruler AND a graphics layer! (Actually, I hardly used the graphics layer, but I LOVE the vertical ruler.)

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, now at the new low price of $29.95. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
shades

Post by shades »

You know, Geoff, you should start a request thread for a vertical ruler! :lol: :D :lol:

BTW, I agree it would be nice to have. :)

(from one old codger to another :P )
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

Thanks, I'll give the WordPerfect X4 demo a try. I was hoping for something a little smaller and more efficient but this looks promising.
craigminah

Re: NWP Like App for Windows?

Post by craigminah »

I just found PageFour for Windows and it's looking promising. I especially like that I can have numerous files open at the same time in a hierarchal list on the side and flip between them.

It's located at http://www.softwareforwriting.com/ if anyone's curious.
shades

Post by shades »

Perhaps look at Papyrus, which is both Mac OS X and Windows. I used it for a book two years ago and it was flawless.
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Papyrus looks good -- an "Office" product.

Also Abiword. Free. What features do you actually need? I used this when forced on to a Windows machine when visiting Timor-Leste over Christmas-New Year. It wasn't bad ... within the limits of working on Windows. :x

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
craigminah

Post by craigminah »

I'm looking for something like NWP or NWE for Windows (e.g. quick, lean, and elegant). I don't need a behemoth like Office, OpenOffice, and don't like WordPerfect much. Hard to find a simple word processor that does things right.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

craigminah wrote:Hard to find a simple word processor that does things right.
You said it!

Cheers, Henry.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Mariner seem to have been moving into the Windows world too, unless I'm much mistaken. Have they ported Write?

Mark
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Nope. Mariner Write is only for Macs as yet.

Cheers, Henry.
shades

Post by shades »

craigminah wrote:I'm looking for something like NWP or NWE for Windows (e.g. quick, lean, and elegant). I don't need a behemoth like Office, OpenOffice, and don't like WordPerfect much. Hard to find a simple word processor that does things right.
You may want to consider Papyrus, then. There was no manual, and when I first downloaded, only German instructions. But within a week I was already using it for the book, some of it trial and error. Rock solid, never crashed, with much rearranging of material, it never messed numbering of chapter, captions, tables.

And it runs in memory, so it is perhaps the fastest word processor/page layout program around.

If an old codger like me can handle it, well... :D 8)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Shades sez:
craigminah wrote:
[quote/]
I'm looking for something like NWP or NWE for Windows (e.g. quick, lean, and elegant). I don't need a behemoth like Office, OpenOffice, and don't like WordPerfect much. Hard to find a simple word processor that does things right.
You may want to consider Papyrus, then. There was no manual, and when I first downloaded, only German instructions.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ooops -- hit the wrong button.

I was going to say that if you are talking lean -- Papyrus, with WP, Database and Spreadsheet takes all of 16.5 MB of of HD space and you can run it off a USB stick on either platform.

Cheers, Geoff

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.