Hspell

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
pitch

Hspell

Post by pitch »

After upgrading to Snow Leopard and installing Nisus Pro 1.3.1 Beta 2 - the Hebrew dictionary stopped spelling words. The Hspell appears in the Languages Menu - (Under Hebrew of course) but actually doesn't work.
Ruchama

Re: Hspell

Post by Ruchama »

see this link for 'mitzpetel' ' s remark on the hebrew spelling. it is embedded somewhere in the thread. if you have trouble with the hebrew let me know.
http://forum.mac-it.co.il/single_view.p ... gid=213837
pitch

Post by pitch »

Thank you for your response. I have done what Mitzpetel suggests, I can see the dictionary in Nisus - but it doesn't works in any document.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

I understand from what you are writing that english spelling does work?

I can not test it myself as I have not installed SL (yet) but I would imagine that spelling details should be reset in nisus, especially if you have used the same dictionary but with different version.

In any case it would be a good idea for nisus people to test the hebrew spelling issue and let us know.

sorry I can not be of more help.
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Control clicking on a word in English is broken as well. Maybe it has to do with Apples new dictionary. Are y'all aware of this?

Lou
pitch

Post by pitch »

Thanks a lot Ruhama. You are very kind.

About the English - you are right loulesko.
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

Phew. I'm glad it's a bug and not my brain. The first few times I tried to control-click on a misspelled word and nothing came up, I went into a mild panic thinking that my writing was so pathetic that the computer thought I was an idiot and was mocking me.

Best to you all.

Lou
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

So, do I understand correctly that this an issue of compatibility of Nisus to SL? or does spelling fail also in other applications..
pitch

Post by pitch »

In English - although you can see the spell-checker in the document - it doesn't really checks (no suggestions at all).
In Hebrew - you can't see the spell-checker in the document at all.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There is one spellchecking issue when running NWP on Snow Leopard. As Lou mentioned, spelling guesses/corrections do not appear on the contextual menu. It's a problem with the way NWP's customized spell checking interacts with 10.6's new spelling features. This problem has been fixed in NWP 1.3.1 beta 2.

However, it sounds like the HSpell issue pitch is having is something different. You might try removing HSpell and reinstalling it to see if that helps. I haven't tried it myself (and I can't read the Hebrew in Ruchama's link). It's also possible HSpell just doesn't work on Snow Leopard- does it function in other applications like TextEdit? Let us know how it goes.
pitch

Post by pitch »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your response.

Of course I did reinstall the Hspell several times and selected it as the hebrew Spell-Checker in Nisus Pro preferences but it doesn't work. Then I've been told that in Snow Leopard Spellers work in a different way - not a service file but as .aff and .dic (based on the Hspell) files which should be installed in Library - Spelling folder.
I did so but still - it doesn't work.
However it does work in NeoOffice, Textedit and Mail Applications - which means that the problem is probably in Nisus.
I am attaching the Hspell (which is a Service file) and the .aff + .dic files of the Hspell (all of them freeware) so you can check that yourself.
I must say that I have been working with Nisus in Hebrew for many years since my work is writing. This spelling bug is a major problem for me.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

In case anyone would like to have an english translation of the link above, I will post it here, just let me know. I do know of some other users who have tried to use hspell with nisus under SL, and failed as well.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the extra information pitch. You're right, if HSpell is working in TextEdit and others, but not in NWP, it's very likely our problem. We'll look into it and see what the problem could be.
pitch

Post by pitch »

Dear Martin,

The hebrew spelling problem was fixed with Beta 3.

Thanks a lot for your courteous treatment.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's great, I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the update pitch.