NW for iPad?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Dirk_Barends

Re: NW for iPad?

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Candace wrote:I was (am) interested in having something more mobile (and a lot cheaper!) than a Macbook Air [...]
But it is!

If you use 'Notes' you can work with text. Notes is not that bad but
the (yellow) background is ugly, but I am getting used to it already.
File naming is odd but it does have its advantages too, as I discovered.
Syncing Notes with Apple Mail or mailing notes works very well,
and then (as has been said already here) it just takes some copy and paste
to get the text back in Nisus files or vice versa.

So far I didn't experience real problems with the kind of text writing I do on the iPad.
Reading ePUB files is just so more pleasant than reading PDF files in iBook
that is why I would like to be able to simply convert RTF and PDF files to ePUB now.

Dirk Barends
ptram

Post by ptram »

If you don't like Notes, try PlainText or SimpleNote. They synch via Dropbox or via the SimpleNote service and Notational Velocity. Personally, I love the look and feel of PlainText.

http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/plaintext
http://simplenoteapp.com/

Paolo
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

ptram wrote:If you don't like Notes, try PlainText or SimpleNote. They synch via Dropbox or via the SimpleNote service and Notational Velocity. [...]
Does PlainText also sync via e-mail and iTunes?
And how does the advertizing work?

Dirk Barends
ptram

Post by ptram »

PlainText synchronizes via Dropbox (including folders) and iTunes (folders not supported). There is another synch service, but I know nothing about it.

Ads last for a couple minutes, then they disappear. As of now I didn't find them annoying, but if they were I could just pay the 4 euros.

Paolo
Candace

Post by Candace »

Well, I did buy an iPad. And I would still like to be able to: 1) see my Nisus docs -- which I gather Docs to Go and Dropbox will let me do; 2) Create text Nisus will recognize when I transfer it to my Macbook -- which I gather the Notes app resident on the iPad will let me do.

But I still need to be able to create a court-ready document in an emergency (I represent indigents in criminal appeals). My understanding, based on the previous posts, is that there's no way I can edit an existing Nisus doc on the iPad.

So I am thinking of buying Pages. Nisus couldn't open a Pages doc someone just sent me, but I have read that Pages has a "save as PDF" option --- so I would think if I save in .pdf, then I could still access the document later on my Macbook (through Dropbox or Mobile.me).

Any comments? Advice? Thanks. Candace Hale
Candace

Post by Candace »

P. S. I just read that Pages has a File > Export option to save in Word. Okay, if it can do that, then NWP will be able to open the Word doc, yes? And then I will have a Nisus document! No?
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

So I am thinking of buying Pages. Nisus couldn't open a Pages doc someone just sent me, but I have read that Pages has a "save as PDF" option --- so I would think if I save in .pdf, then I could still access the document later on my Macbook (through Dropbox or Mobile.me).
I don't know about Pages for iPad… I find it unfinised and expensive. Difficult to communicate with other text processors.
The problem of REAL text writing on the iPad is not yet solved. All solutions are half-baked for my taste.
I sold my first iPad when the MacBook Air came on the market. It's a full-fledged Mac, on which you can use all the software you use in a big Mac. Use the MB Air with a large screen, you forget it's a MB air 11". And while traveling it's just smashing.
Still, a client of mine thanked me for a job I did for him by giving me an iPad2, which is supposed to be .rtf compatible. This time I am keeping the iPad (I cannot sell a present I received, in my book), and I tried to open the .rtf files from Dropbox with all kinds of possibilities. I always loose something: formatting, pages (the text becomes one long ribbon), accents, whatever. When is somebody going to create TextEdit for iPad? Until then, I use it for games, and reading e-newspapers. For text, and pretty everything else, I have the MacBook Air 11".
Anne
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I would expect Nisus for iPad to be ready about when NWP upgrade comes out. I would expect the two to communicate directly.

Kind regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Candace

Post by Candace »

I don't have any idea when the NWP upgrade is coming out, and from what Martin said earlier about no plans for Nisus iPad in the works, I'd be surprised --- but what do I know? From your lips to God/dess's ears (by which I mean the ears of the Nisus Powers That Be.

My life would be hugely enriched by NWP for iPad. Cheers, Candace

P.S. If you were being ironic, and I am just missing it entirely, I attach this P.S. to show I am not perhaps totally gullible......
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Candace wrote:P.S. If you were being ironic, and I am just missing it entirely, I attach this P.S. to show I am not perhaps totally gullible......
I'll tell you whether I was being ironic or not after the next announcement! :D

Cheers, geoff
iljajj

Post by iljajj »

Could I make an attempt to reinvigorate this thread? Having NWP for iPad would be a – huge – boon for me, but for the moment I'd already been helped tremendously by something that can process and edit .RTF files. I'm presently using markdown, but that really means that I can't properly format things so long as the iPad is still part of the workflow.

I have looked at iPad apps that support RTF editing, but have found none whatsoever.
Candace

Post by Candace »

Pages desktop version recognizes Nisus files and opens them without too much formatting carnage, so I got the Pages app, hoping it would do the same. Ha! Of course it doesn't. Doesn't even open them. So now I am wondering if I take a Nisus file, save it to Word (yes, I know that's not enough), then open it in Word and save it again, would the Pages app be able to open it then? (Pages app does open Word files, supposedly).

All this means for me that I can't create or edit documents on the iPad -- and that is a huge drag. So now that the new update has come out and you are all breathing a big sigh of relief, I join in the renewed request --- Nisus for iPad!!!! Oh please!!
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

If you use the export feature of Nisus to export as a word binary, it will create a .doc file that Pages on the iPad can open.
Last edited by DavidK on 2011-06-19 17:33:17, edited 1 time in total.
Candace

Post by Candace »

Thanks for the tip -- I will give it a try. I do know that saving as a Word doc (in Nisus) doesn't work, so it never occurred to me that exporting would.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Candace wrote:Thanks for the tip -- I will give it a try. I do know that saving as a Word doc (in Nisus) doesn't work, so it never occurred to me that exporting would.
Hi Candace,

simply saving it as a Word document will create an RTF file with a .doc extension; Pages gets confused, and it simply cannot open that file. If you export, the process takes slightly longer, but you end up with a true Word binary file, which Pages can open very easily.