Font Color question

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ninjagame

Font Color question

Post by ninjagame »

I've been trying to set the font color of a document to "pure" cyan, i.e.:

C=100
M=0
Y=0
K=0

First, I've tried it using the "color" palette: select all (Cmd-A), set the font color to "Cyan". The result was:

C=41
M=0
Y=13
K=0

Then I used the CMYK silders setting the font color to

C=100
M=0
Y=0
K=0

It semed to work but when I deselected the text, the CMYK sliders miraculously moved to:

C=70
M=15
Y=1
K=0

This happened repeatedly and even when I saved the text prior to deselecting it. It should be added that I can't see a color change, though.

What am I doing wrong?

ninjagame
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Font Color question

Post by martin »

ninjagame wrote:I've been trying to set the font color of a document to "pure" cyan, i.e.:
It semed to work but when I deselected the text, the CMYK sliders miraculously moved to:

C=70
M=15
Y=1
K=0
The reason this occurs has to do with how colors are saved in the RTF file format. The RTF specification only has provisions to save 24-bit RGB colors. So, when you apply a text/background color in NWP, it automatically converts the color to the 24-bit RGB color space.

You can actually see the same behavior in TextEdit, though the conversion is delayed. You can apply the pure Cyan color to text, but it is only persisted until you reopen your file (or copy-paste the text). We thought it better if the color restriction was shown in NWP sooner rather than later.
It should be added that I can't see a color change, though.
The colors are almost the same; basically the alternate color is as close to Cyan as 24-bit RGB can manage.
ninjagame

Re: Font Color question

Post by ninjagame »

Martin,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Let me see if I understand you correctly: Upon saving (or closing and reopening) the document, NWP converts the CMYK settings to RGB settings.

I've tried this with an example: When I set the font color using the CMYK silders to:

C=100
M=0
Y=0
K=0

the color translates to

R=0
G=146
B=209

in the RGB sliders.

Upon saving the document, the color setting in CMYK changes to

C=75
M=15
Y=1
B=1

the setting in RGB is now

R=0
G=145
B=208

which indeed is pretty close.
OK, I'll see how this looks in print. Thanks, again, for the clarification!

ninjagame