Feature Request for Filename

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hatchmo

Feature Request for Filename

Post by hatchmo »

Just making my annual request for the next version of Nisus Writer.
Please include the option to have new documents named with the contents of the document header instead of the first words in the body of the document.
Al Hatch
hatchmo

Re: Feature Request for Filename

Post by hatchmo »

Once again, a new version has appeared without my feature request.
Hence, my annual post.
Please include the option to have new documents named with the contents of the
document header instead of the first words in the body of the document.
Al Hatch
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

That assumes that all your documents have a header, and that you are consistent in the information you put in the header such that it would produce useful, non-identical filenames. That may be the way you do things, but I do not have headers in all my documents by any manner of means; in fact a large proportion of my documents should specifically not have a header, so to me this would be just as irritating and unnecessary as the current system. I would prefer the "untitled" as used by many other applications.

Mark
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

What you seem to want to do strikes me as a rather unusual way to do things. Much more often people do the reverse, i.e., they want the header to reflect the filename. Have you considered doing that? NW 2.0 has automatic text items including the "Filename" (under "Document Properties"). If you put this in the header of your "Nisus New File" all your files will show the document name in the header.

Alternatively one could make a macro that checks the header and uses that as the filename, but this would have to be triggered, and I assume you want autosave to do this for you. What I usually do to "trick" the autosave is to insert a temporary "Header 1" and type the desired filename first. Later when the file has been saved I delete that (or I guess you could move it to the header)
philip
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Why not do either? If the header has contents, then use it, if no contents, then not. Or better, make it a preference.

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Why not do either? If the header has contents, then use it, if no contents, then not.
NWP actually does this now. If your document body is empty, but the header is not, the header will be used for the suggested file name.
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

NWP actually does this now. If your document body is empty, but the header is not, the header will be used for the suggested file name.
That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!
Al Hatch