Future of NWP (+Bookends)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
samuelas

Future of NWP (+Bookends)

Post by samuelas »

I was very happy (in late summer of 2009) to help test the improved integration of Bookends with NW; this solution has worked out the best for my scholarship (and I'm sure many others agree)--it removes two very unpleasant things that most people still associate with writing: fighting with Word and dealing with references and reference formats.

I had the sense that the Nisus people were planning further developments of this feature; is this so? I can't help but notice that development has slowed. Although I'm not in fear of NW becoming like Mellel in this respect, I am a bit curious about future plans.

s.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Future of NWP (+Bookends)

Post by martin »

We're still developing full steam ahead! Not necessarily on Bookends integration, but we have a variety of things cooking 8)
thf

Post by thf »

Hi Martin,

because it fits in the Nisus + Bookends interplay discussion: I have an annoying problem with unscanned documents in Nisus.

My Nisus setup has a footnote style which prints text in 8pt "Andale Mono" and the main text with "normal style" is in 14 pt Garamond. Bookends is set up to give the bibliography in 12pt Times New Roman. I use a slightly tweaked "Chicago 15th A" for the bibliography and the "Chicago 15th A footnotes" for the footnotes.

Inserting the footnotes and scanning the document works fine. But when i unscan the documents the footnote parts appear as 12pt Garamond! I use Nisus and Bookends with german OS X Snow Lepoard.

Is this problem reproducable or is this due to the style format in Bookends or is it a Nisus-specific problem? Jon from Sonnysoftware is not sure, where the problem occurs, but has no chance to test it now due to his vacancy.

Yours, Tom
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Tom- I created a small test document and Bookends database with settings similar to what you describe. Unscanning the document didn't change the font of my footnotes. Could you perhaps send me a test document/database to work with? You can email me directly if you like:

Thank you!
thf

Post by thf »

Hi Martin

the email is on its way. Thanks in advance for looking at it. Yours, Tom
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I appreciate you sending along your documents Tom. I've taken a look and this seems to be an issue with Bookend's RTF output. I've replied via email with the details.
dude

Post by dude »

I was vocal about support for reference managers in Nisus and was even lucky enough to get in on the beta's leading up to it. I just want to say thanks for including this feature, it has been a giant help. I also wanted to stick my two cents in and say that I find myself using Sente for all my reference needs these days. By other stuff cooking, I hope Sente is getting warm. ;) If not, that is ok too as Sente plays nice enough to NIsus as it is.
Just a guy trying to be a dude...