i've been away but nothing's changed!

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

i've been away but nothing's changed!

Post by greenmorpher »

Hi all

I've been away for a bit, but nothing's changed! Where's NWP v.2? Scrivener has come out in v.2! But I want NWP v.2! Not Scrivener. NWP!!!

Just spent 2 weeks working on a major proposal. Wrote it in NWP using the pseudo-outliner capability and made a bunch of tables. Saved off the tables as PDFs (copied to a new page, then "Save as PDF"}. Then opened the tables in Canvas. Also copied and pasted the text as text, but retaining the heading numbers. Applied Canvas styles and we were away.

I'm in Cairns. North Queensland, right at the moment, waiting to go out and photograph the Sunlander train (or is it the Tilt Train this morning and the Sunlander tomorrow?) It was nice and sunny when I woke up an hour ago, but now it's clouding over. Bugger all wet seasons!!!

I'll be on the Sunlander on Thursday morning, heading for Brisbane at a leisurely jog. No internet on board that 50 year old train!

Best regards, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Success in Store: how to start or buy a retail business, enjoy running it and make money" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Buy at Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
dshan

Re: i've been away but nothing's changed!

Post by dshan »

Geoff, you missed it! 2.0 came out while you were away as a limited time special. It's great, the vertical ruler rules, and the multi-window stuff is just magic.
Unfortunately, like McDonalds this special release was strictly limited and may never happen again, at least not for a long long time...
ptram

Post by ptram »

I, too, am very curious on what are the Nisus guys silently doing. I hope it is not Nisus Writer for iPad, leaving us Mac users back in the dust!

As a quick note: I noticed that, in some cases, File > Print > Save as PDF produces better results than File > Save as PDF. I don't know why, but I had some formatting problems with the latter, never one with the former.

Paolo
JBB

Post by JBB »

Seriously, the progress on new releases is quite disappointing.

I am still waiting for floating text boxes so I can get the numbering for legal pleadings done right.

Is it so hard to add?? It's been a LONG time.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

The longer the waiting the bigger the news. I have insider infos that people at Nisus are crafting big things. They’ve been heard hammering all night long. They happen to let it on on a saturday morning. Really! (Disclosure: beware the woman with a blue hat).

Henry (Hush) Groucho.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

You sure that's not Santa's elves, Groucho? :P

Kind regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
robertb

Post by robertb »

Sometimes no change is a good thing. It's kind of like leaving the living room furniture as is instead of moving stuff around. I mean NWP does exactly what it's supposed to do. It's bug-free and crash-free, fast and flexible. It's close to perfection....Well, come to think of it, there is one thing I'd like to see in a new version: a better icon. The golden guy with the purple wings in his head, carrying a giant Montblanc pen is weird. Maybe switch to an armadillo carrying a #2 pencil?
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

It's very good, Robert, but not perfect. The tables need work -- seriously. You need to be able to nail them down. I use them a bit for DTP (I make the table in NWP, save it off as a PDF, then import the PDF into Canvas). Then there's the embedded stuff.

But it IS a great program to work with, no doubt about it, and there's a lot to be said for keeping the lounge furniture as it is -- I remember coming home once and nearly flinging myself into an empty space where my favourite chair used to be. My wife had changed it all while I was at work. I changed it back while she was at work! Fortunately, my daughter, who had nearly suffered as I had, back me up and democracy won!

Kind regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Worsley Press
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

robertb wrote:The golden guy with the purple wings in his head, carrying a giant Montblanc pen is weird. Maybe switch to an armadillo carrying a #2 pencil?
:lol:

Well, I won't argue that Nisus Man isn't unconventional, but he is part of our history. He's certainly distinctive!
robertb

Post by robertb »

Thanks for the link. Eccentric is good. The weird, um, distinctive guy should stay.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Yeah - great reading on "Nisus Man":

Lewis HYDE: "Trickster makes this world - How disruptive imagination creates culture" 1998.

HE

BTW from the author of: "The Gift - How the creative spirit transforms the world" 1983.
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

I quote from Lord Acton:

“Save for the wild force of Nature, nothing moves in this world that is not Greek in its origin.”

Henry.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Except all that's Chinese, which happened long before the Greeks made any sort of mark and continued long after they had stopped making any significant mark (and let's not forget that Alexander the Great was Macedonian), to say nothing (remembering the origin of zero and a whole raft of other stuff) of what's Indian. Then, of course, there is the odd factor elsewhere like traces of irrigation in the Western Highlands of Papua New Guinea 10,000 years ago, but in holding up that and other irrigation as examples, we should bear in mind Spriggs's remarks regarding the “much debated view that irrigation is important on a worldwide basis as s factor in social evolution” saying:

“On occasion, the discovery of the most miserable diversion of a trickle of water into a minute parcel of land has led to pilgrimages of academics from far and wide and assumed some mystical aura as a decisive first step on the road to despotism or, as it is often more quaintly labelled, ‘the Rise of Civilization’.”

Regardless of that, however, Lord Ackers is clearly yet another myopic Helenophile.

Setting Ackers side, and the fact that we are mixing our classical metaphors somewhat (to say nothing of the possible connection between Nisus and the current debate over the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the US military -- for a neat comment, check Oliphant's cartoon of 2 Dec at http://news.yahoo.com/comics/pat-oliphant) I was unhappy with the first iteration of the golden chap but have become accustomed to it's face and further, find it useful now as I have a darker background for it -- with the dock set to the right of the screen, it sits over Baffin Island in EarthDesk -- so the aging eyes can readily locate it.

Best
geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Worsley Press
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

You can see earlier versions of the Start-up screen in the User's Guide. Search for the phrase "The Nisus Men of the Past". And, a history of the early development of Nisus Writer Classic is available in Joe Kissell's book The Nisus Way (last updated sometime around 1999). Click "History: The Evolution of Nisus Writer" in the table of contents on the left.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.