Chinese Writers Please - Input Application Recommendation

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
CartesianProduct2

Chinese Writers Please - Input Application Recommendation

Post by CartesianProduct2 »

First I offer my apology to the moderators and administrators of this forum. I was referred to this site as a possible source of information but it does not directly relate to Nisus. I hope you permit my thread to stay.

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese input application for an iMac? My wife and I have tried the native Chinese input method bundled with OS10 but it is cumbersome and inefficient. The application we used on the MS platform permitted us to enter pinyin and it presented the Chinese characters to select.

Our thanks in advance to the site administrators and to the user community for any recommendation.

Our warm regards.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Chinese Writers Please - Input Application Recommendatio

Post by rmark »

CartesianProduct2,

We are pleased to have this discussion continue here. I'm sure we'll all be able to learn something from it.

However, I'm curious/puzzled. You write that you "have tried the native Chinese input method bundled with OS10 but it is cumbersome and inefficient". I know that a great many people use it quite successfully. Can you describe the issues a bit more precisely? And, have you tried them in conjunction with Nisus Writer Pro, or some other word processor?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Well -

I guess you activated "Chinese - Simplified" already and you have access to it in the "Input Sources Menu" - i.e. the Flag Menu. If not, go activate it in "System Prefertences / Language & Text / Input Sources / Chinese - Simplified".
In Nisus Writer you can enter "Pinyin" now in "Chinese-Simplified" mode, and Chinese characters will be presented to select from with double click. Works in all Chinese ready applications BTW.

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
rwg

Post by rwg »

Although the Chinese input method bundled with OS X is adequate for sporadic use, the best input method for Chinese on the Mac is probably QIM:

http://glider.ismac.cn/RegQIME.html

You might also like to check out the Chinese Mac Google group:

http://groups.google.com/group/chinesemac

Rolf
CartesianProduct2

Thank you for your kind accommodation in permitting this thread to remain on your forum.

The native input, particularly in my wife's opinion, does not easy offer the correct suggestions and takes many key strokes. She feels it slows her down considerably. She writes much more than I so I'm less impacted.

Thank you all for the timely suggestions.

rwg: My wife recently installed FIT (http://www.yale.edu/chinesemac/pages/input_methods.html) and wonder if we are using the same product. Would you mind reviewing my link. If it is not we will definitely investigate your suggestion.

Thank you all once more for your time and interest in helping us.
rwg

Post by rwg »

I don't have any experience with FIT and so aren't in a position to compare it with QIM (QuickCore Input Method), which you will find immediately above FIT on the page to which you link. FIT has the advantage of being free, but as it says on that same page, "QIM is simply the best Pinyin input method available for Mac OS X," and so if you do a lot of typing in Chinese, you will probably find it well worth the investment ($20.00).

Rolf
CartesianProduct2

Good morning. We installed QIM yesterday and very pleased with it's performance and intuitiveness. Thank you very much rwg for your recommendation and to the user community for assistance.

We would also like to personally thank the moderators and admin for permitting this thread to remain here. We will surely investigate Nisus for our use.

Warm regards to all.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Glad this turned out well. I had first recommended the person check this site because of the language expertise.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990