Autosave & versions

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tlw55

Autosave & versions

Post by tlw55 »

I know Apple is pushing developers to conform to this file handling protocol. Please, retain the traditional "save/save as..." approach (at least as an option). I'd also prefer autosave/versions as an option that can be turned on or off in your application.
Just one guy's opinion
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Autosave & versions

Post by martin »

Thanks for your opinion! I'd be curious how many users prefer Apple's new autosave approach over the traditional "Save/Save As" menus. Certainly the integrated timeline of document versions can be useful.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Having been a Mac user since 1990, I have learned some basic things that have migrated from System 6 to OS X 10.7.3. One of them is the Save/Save As feature. I guess I would like to know more about the advantages of the new approach before giving an informed opinion on it. I use 10.7.3, but am still learning my way around it and its capabilities.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Here is a good article explaining Lion's autosave/versions feature and how it compares to the old "Save/Save As" approach.
robertb

Post by robertb »

In my own non-Nisus work, I've gotten used to the Lion approach and think it's much more effective than the old save and save-as (in Numbers, for example, it didn't take long to forget about constantly pressing cmd-s, although I still occasionally fall back on cmd-shift-s for save as). It's far better to have a consistent approach across applications in the way these basic functions are handled.

My vote for Nisus: change to the Lion standard.
dshan

Post by dshan »

I'm with robertb, Lion's new document model kicks ass! I much prefer using apps like TextEdit now simply because they support the NDM with auto-save and versions. Apps that haven't been updated to implement it seem creaky and old fashioned in comparison. If it's possible to make it a preference setting and retain the old file management commands for those who are stuck in the 1980s (or need to use Nisus with non-HFS file systems for some reason) by all means do so, but once you get the hang of the New Way you'll never want to go back to the old method of creating documents. It rocks.