Opening Perl (.pl) files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Foxofjapan

Opening Perl (.pl) files

Post by Foxofjapan »

Is it possible to open Perl files with Nisus? I just downloaded a program entitled BRL-CAD which is supposed to open such files, but no luck. Many thanks..
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Opening Perl (.pl) files

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer will open Perl files, as they are just plain text. In doing so, Nisus Writer will automatically apply your Plain Text Template to the open document, whose formatting you can control in the "New File" preferences, under the "Advanced" tab.
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Martin,
Thanks for your quick reply. I thought I am supposed to be notified when a reply is posted?? Lately that has not been the case.

I am still using Nisus 1.4.2, and I am unable to open Perl (.pl) files, I get gobbley-gook coded stuff. Would upgrading cure my troubles? Please advise and post directly to me ([redacted]@mac.com). Thanks..Michael.
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Martin,
Once again, when I try to open the file, Nisus freezes. I wonder if the file I am trying to open is corrupt. I attach the file.

Well, at least I just tired to submit, but I am getting a message in red: The extension pl is not allowed.

Awaiting your advice.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hi Fox,
the reason you are getting that message is because you are trying to upload that file here. You can either:
  1. Send it to Martin with the "feedback" button in Nisus
  2. zip the file first before uploading it here
philip
Foxofjapan

Re: Opening Perl (.pl) files/Feedback..?

Post by Foxofjapan »

Phil.

Have just scanned many pages searching for the way to send feedback...have not found it...please advise.
-Thanks
-Fox
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

It's in the Help menu…
Nisus Send Feedback.jpg
Nisus Send Feedback.jpg (24.34 KiB) Viewed 11246 times
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Fox- I've received the file, but it's not a perl document at all. It may have a perl file extension (.pl), but the document is really just a mislabeled PDF. If you change the file extension to .pdf you can open it in Apple's Preview.app to see it is some kind of legal document. I hope this information helps.
Foxofjapan

Post by Foxofjapan »

Martin,
Thanx so much for replying both to me personally and online. A .pdf huh, well I would never have figured that out. And when I change the suffix to .pdf-I can open in either Nisus or Adobe.
Slyly, Gratefully,
Fox