Running word count

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hoberdiek

Running word count

Post by hoberdiek »

One feature I liked on the late, unlamented Word was a running word count at the bottom of the page. I know I can get the total number of words using the Statistics Palette, but can I get a running count? The manual doesn't seem to suggest a way....

Thanks!
Hans
Hamid

Re: Running word count

Post by Hamid »

You can get a live count from the Insert:Automatic Number:Word Count menu, which updates as you type.
hoberdiek

Post by hoberdiek »

Unless I'm not using the program correctly, this isn't quite what I'm after. Yes, if I do the Automatic Word Count anywhere in the text, it will tell me how many words at that point. But if I type another paragraph, I believe I have to do Automatic Word Count again to get another word count. But equally bad -- again, unless I'm doing it incorrectly -- it inserts the word count into the text. But I don't want that at all.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong -- I usually am! -- but not sure what. Thanks for you help....
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hello, Hans.

I support this. Not just a live word counter, but a partial, resettable one too. One you can reset whenever you want so you know how much you write in a session.

Cheers, Henry.
JHB

Post by JHB »

If you go to the writing palette in the drawer (the one with the pencil), the last section is Statistics, and that has the running count of characters, words and paragraphs.
hoberdiek

Post by hoberdiek »

Thanks, JHB!