ePub export loses fonts

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
rochkind

ePub export loses fonts

Post by rochkind »

A problem common to several word processors I've tried, including Pages and Nisus Pro, is that the ePub export toses out font changes. In technical writing, it's common to want text in both Times and Courier, easily supported by most eBook readers. But, a document containing both fonts has them converted to Times when I export in ePub from Nisus Pro.

Exporting in ODT from Express (and, I assume, Pro) and then using Jutoh to convert to ePub does preserve the fonts.

Actually, while I'm here, I'm not sure of what use the ePub export from Nisus Pro is, since there seems to be no way to incoporate things like a cover. Maybe some other essential metadata can be included--I didn't play with the feature very much.

It seems like a placeholder for the real thing. Just a checkmark on a comparison table.

I still may use Nisus Express for my book, as the import of ODT into Jutoh works well.

Try harder!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: ePub export loses fonts

Post by martin »

rochkind wrote:A problem common to several word processors I've tried, including Pages and Nisus Pro, is that the ePub export toses out font changes. In technical writing, it's common to want text in both Times and Courier, easily supported by most eBook readers. But, a document containing both fonts has them converted to Times when I export in ePub from Nisus Pro.
This appears to depend on the ePub reader. I just exported an ePub from Nisus Writer Pro and the fonts display properly when the file is opened in Calibre, but not in Adobe's Digital Editions. We'll have to take a look and see what the difference might be.
Actually, while I'm here, I'm not sure of what use the ePub export from Nisus Pro is, since there seems to be no way to incoporate things like a cover. Maybe some other essential metadata can be included--I didn't play with the feature very much.
Our ePub export indeed does not allow choosing of a cover, but we do export some other metadata, the most useful of which is probably the TOC.
Roger

Re: ePub export loses fonts

Post by Roger »

martin wrote:
rochkind wrote:A problem common to several word processors I've tried, including Pages and Nisus Pro, is that the ePub export toses out font changes. In technical writing, it's common to want text in both Times and Courier, easily supported by most eBook readers. But, a document containing both fonts has them converted to Times when I export in ePub from Nisus Pro.
This appears to depend on the ePub reader. I just exported an ePub from Nisus Writer Pro and the fonts display properly when the file is opened in Calibre, but not in Adobe's Digital Editions. We'll have to take a look and see what the difference might be.
Our ePub export indeed does not allow choosing of a cover, but we do export some other metadata, the most useful of which is probably the TOC.
I would love for Nisus to incorporate the ability to select a cover for ePub export. In the meantime, is there a good workaround, or another price of software to achieve this?

Thank you.