How to automatically apply styles to imported document?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
fgvs

How to automatically apply styles to imported document?

Post by fgvs »

Hi,

I'm a newcomer, and I'm in a bit at a loss here. I have an imported document with Basic text, Headings (Basic + bold), and Subheadings (Headings + italic). But the styles themselves did not come through, so the imported document has no styles. Basically, I'd like to apply the styles I have set up in NWP to each matching section in the document, and I'd love to do that automatically. Is there some ingenious way to differentially detect the Headings, Subheadings, and Basic text sections in the document so as to apply the relevant styles to each?

Many thanks in advance.
xiamenese

Re: How to automatically apply styles to imported document?

Post by xiamenese »

Use either font, colour or font-size to distinguish the headings, subheadings etc., the when you've imported it:

1) if you've used colour, put your cursor in one of the appropriate paragraphs, choose the 'colour' icon in the Status Bar at the bottom of the window, and choose "Select All" from the pop-up menu, then apply the style you want from the Styles palette;

2) if you've used different fonts or font-sizes as the distinguishing feature, do the same but use the a icon in the Status bar and proceed in the same way.

You can't use Bold or Italic on their own as a distinguishing characteristic, as these can be used for emphasis within a paragraph.

HTH

Mark
fgvs

Post by fgvs »

Thanks, Mark. That is a VERY effective method. I had started groping my way forward by means of Powerfind, but your approach is much better than anything I had found this far. Many thanks, again.
Francisco
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

fgvs wrote:Thanks, Mark. That is a VERY effective method. I had started groping my way forward by means of Powerfind, but your approach is much better than anything I had found this far. Many thanks, again.
Francisco
My pleasure.

Most of my texts start life in Scrivener and are then exported to RTF and opened in NWP. I initially tried using font and font-size to distinguish and then using PowerFind and macroizing the search and replace code, but it was getting long-winded and I was still having problems. Then it came to me that colour and the colour menu in the Status bar was going to be quicker and easier.

I'm in the middle of putting together a sort of tutorial on my whole working process of Scrivener --> NWP, which I may well post in the Scrivener forums and here if anyone is interested. That is, if I never finish it! :)

Mark
fgvs

Post by fgvs »

xiamenese wrote: I'm in the middle of putting together a sort of tutorial on my whole working process of Scrivener --> NWP, which I may well post in the Scrivener forums and here if anyone is interested. That is, if I never finish it! :)

Mark
I'd be interested. The single piece of advice you already offered was very useful, and I look forward to further revelations!
Francisco
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Mark, I would be interested in that as well.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Here you are guys … my Scrivener --> NWP workflow. I'm sure I've made omissions or not been clear in places, so get back to me if necessary. Hope it helps anyway. It seems the zipped .scriv project is too big for this forum software, so. If you PM me with an email address, I'll find a way of getting it to you. Alternatively, you can download it from the Scrivener forum at:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... 15&t=32428

:)

Mark
Scriv-to-NWP.rtf.zip
(15 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
fgvs

Post by fgvs »

xiamenese wrote:Here you are guys … my Scrivener --> NWP workflow. I'm sure I've made omissions or not been clear in places, so get back to me if necessary. Hope it helps anyway. It seems the zipped .scriv project is too big for this forum software, so. If you PM me with an email address, I'll find a way of getting it to you. Alternatively, you can download it from the Scrivener forum at:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum ... 15&t=32428

:)

Mark
Scriv-to-NWP.rtf.zip
Thanks, Mark. Cheers!

Francisco