multiplication

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Yohanan

multiplication

Post by Yohanan »

Hi again, Though I love the program and what it can do and its flexibility, I must confess I am becoming a bit upset with the "styles" in NisusWriter Pro
Again and again I loose styles from one doc to the next (some of them are opened from a converted to RTF format from DOCX through LibreOffice.app, this last app being better to keep formats than others included NW Pro).

Now here is the situation (easier for me to present as a snapshot:
1. In my Home/Nisus Documents folder I find four folders: Glossaries; Macros; Style Library; Templates
2. In the above mentioned Style Library folder, I find two folders: Macros; Style Library
3. In this second Style Library, I find: Glossaries; Macros; Style Library; Templates; plus one doc named My Own Style Library.rtf
4. In this third Style Library folder, I find again: Glossaries; Macros; Style Library; Templates plus one doc named Usual Styles.rtf
5. Then in this fourth Style Library I find a doc named: Ma Own Library.rtf

Moreover in the last mentioned Templates folder are five templates with weird names, like this: Nisus New File.dot.sb-600da560-hQYz7z

Is there actually nobody using NW Pro with this kind of problem ?

I am actually very busy for preparing a session for the coning days, but thanks anyway for any idea about this.
Yohanan
phspaelti

Re: multiplication

Post by phspaelti »

Yohanan wrote: 2018-09-30 08:27:26 Is there actually nobody using NW Pro with this kind of problem ?
No, the rest of us do not have this problem.

Yohanan, I would recommend that you stop digging around in these folders. If you want to know where your style library files are you should use the Document Manager or the commands in the Insert Menu of of the application.
philip
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you, but I am not digging spontaneously.I do not have time for this and moreover I am not so much interested or "insecure" about that. I just go on loosing my style library and I have to manually rebuild my styles in every old document I open, and I have a lot of them.Then when I am asked BY NW Pro to save a style in a Library, the app does not know where is the document manager folder. No grudge about this, but a little manual of 20 pages not sending the reader from one part to another part of six hundred pages, would be very helpful. To reset the whole app would help too, as I was suggested to to, and ended up not having actually reset anything.I NEVER HAD AN ACCESS TO THIS FAMOUS DOCUMENT MANAGER FOLDER the app is asking for.
High Sierra last version on IMac and MacBook Pro both rather recent.
So I would prefer to get an answer about this: is there any way to solve this problem ? If not, I am condemned for the time being to do this manually, for I have no other app. which fits my rather simple needs, i.e. to write documents with notes and a few different styles.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Yohanan et al

On a number of occasions now I have suggested that your problems stem from an incorrect hierarchical folder structure. I know Martin has said that this shouldn't matter, but I still reckon it has to be the prime suspect. In a previous posting, I outlined a procedure for correcting it:–

<viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7151&p=31055#p31055>

Have you given this a go? With what result?

As to why you have ended up with this incorrect hierarchical folder structure and its attendant "multiplication" of files, the only explanation I can think of is insufficient attention to locations when saving. Part of the blame for this could be laid at the foot of the operating system. In the Save As… dialog box, you are not necessarily presented by default with a broad enough view of your folder structure. The name of the location may appear correct, but in reality its path is not. Especially in your current situation, it's often a good idea to "zoom out" a bit in order to ensure you are not nesting files inappropriately. You may think you are saving a file in the correct folder, but in reality that folder may be located within a folder of the same name, and so on. It is probably the topmost such folder in the hierarchy where you really should be saving the file. Moral: Check the full path before saving.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Yohanan wrote: 2018-09-30 08:27:26I lose styles from one doc to the next (some of them are opened from a converted to RTF format from DOCX through LibreOffice.app
When you open in NWP a document that you did not create yourself — regardless of whether it was created in NWP, Word, LibreOffice, etc — it will include all the styles embedded by the person who created the document, and it will not include any of your own styles.

You can add your styles to a document created by another person (lets' call it document A) either of two ways:

1. Open in NWP a new, empty document. This will be based on your Nisus New File template, so it will include all your default styles. Copy and paste the entire contents of document A into the empty document.

2. Save a copy of your Nisus New File template in the Style Library folder inside the Nisus Documents folder. That will make its styles available to insert into any document by the steps of:
• View > Style Sheet
• click the "Import from Style Library" button in the blank area below any style in the right pane.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you Adrian,
I remember to have followed the instructions for a new reset and also changed the name of Nisus Documents in the User folder. I will try again and get to this as soon as possible, which means probably next week when back home. Just this morning, opening a new document, the template NW Pro gave me these last two weeks for a new file has disappeared again, with no apparent reason, and I am offered the NW Pro new File by default.
Let's hope I can find a solution to this.
Anyway many thanks to all the help offered on the forum.
Yohanan

P.S. Bob, all the files I open are mine. Most of them were created in Word and have either .doc or .docx specification. I open them first in LibreOffice where the data is best preserved than opening directly with NW Pro, then I close and reopen them with NWP.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

Yohanan wrote: 2018-10-01 01:12:29P.S. Bob, all the files I open are mine. Most of them were created in Word and have either .doc or .docx specification. I open them first in LibreOffice where the data is best preserved than opening directly with NW Pro, then I close and reopen them with NWP.
Everything I said about documents created by someone else apply equally to documents you create in a program other than NWP. Those documents will have your Word styles, not your NWP default styles, when you first open them in NWP. If you want to add your NWP default styles to those documents, you can follow my instructions.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you. I will check this when back (just preparing a session).
Yohanan