Smart quotes and British English

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Meuh

Smart quotes and British English

Post by Meuh »

I can't get Writer Express to use smart quotes when my document language is set to English (British). I go to Preferences -> Quick fix, but the Use Smart Punctuation box is greyed out. This is not the case with English (US) or French. Is there any way of fixing this? It makes this otherwise great program useless if you're in Britain and writing for a living.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

Smart quotes was one of the feature requests I made early on when I started using NWE.

I have to say it's working for me - and I'm using British English (how I loath that term!).
Meuh

Post by Meuh »

Do you remember how you got smart quotes to work? The only option I can find is in Preferences -> Quick Fix and, as I say, it's greyed out when I select English (British). I've tried trashing the Nisus preference file, but that doesn't make any difference.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

Ooer. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I've been out and about today...

I don't know how I got it to work. In my version (v.2.1.1) the QuickFix panel lets me check or uncheck the "Use Smart Punctuation" consistently.

One question: Your system language has been set to British? I have no idea if this has any bearing, but it's worth a check.
Meuh

Post by Meuh »

Thanks, but I've pinned down the problem now. Some time ago - long enough that I'd forgotten all about it - I'd created a new language in the Nisus preferences called English (British). This was the one where smart quotes weren't working. Now I've deleted this and am using the built-in English (British) everything's fine.
That'll teach me to fiddle with things.