Nisus Sneak Peek Page

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
charles

Post by charles »

mrennie:

You can drag palette out of the drawer and they will become floating palettes. Does that achieve what you want?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
charles

Post by charles »

joao:

We'll look into that. The palette arrangements in 2.5 should not affect your arrangements in 2.1.1 since we change the way palette groups are handled.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

charles wrote: You can drag palette out of the drawer and they will become floating palettes. Does that achieve what you want?
Charles-
I'm aware of that possibility, but no, it does not achieve everything I want. I like being able to switch between the different toolbars (sections, tables, writing), which are arranged in a logical way, and I'd lose this functionality if I used the floating toolbars. Unless I had the entire screen cluttered with them, that is; keeping them in small groups, as it is being done at the moment, seems to me to be the right approach.
Also, I can easily make the drawer disappear with a simple keystroke, whereas I'd have to close the floating palettes individually, and they'd move back into the toolbar drawer, forcing me to drag them out again the next time I need them. So, to make it short, no, dragging palettes out of the drawer does not have the same effect as having a detachable toolbar drawer, similar to Word's formatting palette or Pages' inspector. I'm sorry for introducing that comparison, as I know that you are trying your very best to make NWX a distinctive word processor of its own, but it's just that the solutions proposed by Word and Pages seem quite good to me.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

mrennie wrote:
charles wrote: You can drag palette out of the drawer and they will become floating palettes. Does that achieve what you want?
Damn! I had no idea! But I like the idea of detaching the entire drawer (and being able to customize it) sort of like how iCal allows you to detach the info pane.
Anne Cuneo

Tiger

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Some of us (not myself) at www.cuk.ch have been pre-testing OS Tiger, due to be issued on April 29th. Nisus 2.5 doesn't work with it, they say. Any comment I can pass on to my friends who don't speak English? I haven't been able to check myself, since I don't belong to the tester and programmer happy few.
Thanks.
Anne
jwx1

My favorite improvement is

Post by jwx1 »

the soft return.
Finalamente.
Bravo!
MacSailor

Re: My favorite improvement is

Post by MacSailor »

jwx1 wrote:the soft return.
Finalamente.
Bravo!
How do I use the soft return?
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Anne:

Can you tell us in more detail the problems they are having with 2.5 under Tiger? Or perhaps you can have them write to sneakpeek@nisus.com if they speak English. I am using 2.5 under Tiger all the time and it works fine for me.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
arjay

Post by arjay »

charles wrote:Anne:

Can you tell us in more detail the problems they are having with 2.5 under Tiger? Or perhaps you can have them write to sneakpeek@nisus.com if they speak English. I am using 2.5 under Tiger all the time and it works fine for me.

-Charles
I am using 2.5 Alpha 2 with OS X 10.4 (wow..such talk :wink: ) and it is working fine. Well, one crash so far, but I've been unable to replicate it. I am just thrilled with the direction Nisus is heading with this product. Currently, I often have need to generate an index and TOC for my documents and once I've finished the document in Nisus, I use Word to perform that function. The only other feature I would personally need is an elegant handling of graphics to include wrap choices (tight, blocked, text above-below, left, right, etc.). What I'm afraid of however, is as features are added, it will become of necessity, as bloated as Word. (Do you remember Word's smart menu feature, where it would change your menus to include only those features that you normally utilize? At first, I didn't like the idea, but it really had merit given the complexity of the product.)

As another aside, it pshtd me off a little (I think---am still rolling this around a little in my mind) when Apple released Pages. I know I will be in a minority here, but I don't want to lose the developers who have supported the Mac platform through the years, good and bad. If Apple is trying to encourage software vendors to develop software for the Mac, this seems a strange way of doing it.

arjay
Peder

Strange 2.5 behaviour

Post by Peder »

I downloaded the first NWE 2.5 Alpha, and it worked beautifully (minor gripe with the handling of Styles posted elsewhere), but one day when I started ut up, the toolbar (not the Tool Drawer) and the scrollbars were all black, making that version unusable.
Downloaded another copy, same phenomenon, downloaded the Alpha 2, same phenomen. 2.1.1, 2.1.2, and 2.1.3 in the meantime have had none of these problems. What's happening? I'm running 10.3.9 on a 550 mHz Ti-Book.

And a small feature request, admittedly based on what I'm used to from other programmes: Word, PageMaker (in later versions) and InDesign all have this behaviour: Command-left/right arrow moves the cursor one word left or right, in NWE end of the line. And of course it's Alt-left/right arrow in NWE that moves the cursor one word. Alright in itself, but when you constantly move from NWE to InDesign and back, it gets frustrating. Would you consider getting into line with InDesign – if not Word :wink: ?

And regarding the Styles: would it be possible to make them handle names with the Swedish characters å, ä and ö?

Otherwise, NWE is getting more and more usable for me and is now to all intents and purposes my main word processor. Looking forward to the further development.

Peder
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Fireball1244

Post by Fireball1244 »

This 2.5 release (alpha 2) is very nice. Quite spry and attractive looking (though I would really love it if you guys came up with a non-fugly "save" toolbar button). Also, I'd love to see what this would look like with the "unified" title/toolbar look in Tiger.

I've recently come back to Nisus after playing with Pages for my writing. The focus on writing, and the ability to use the files produced on my Windows computer, are the big reasons.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I'm experiencing two odd problems:

1) I cut a chapter from a much larger work, and the footnotes are acting strangely. Footnote 1 is noted properly in the text, but in the footer it says its number is "161." If I delete the note and re-insert it, note 2 is change to "162." I'm sure this is related to my having cut the chapter from a longer text, but it's sure strange.

2) Blocked quotations sometimes have an indentation on the first line. I'm sure this is a style issue, but the text is rendered properly in Word.

2.5 is shaping up, folks!
MacSailor

Re: Strange 2.5 behaviour

Post by MacSailor »

Peder wrote: And regarding the Styles: would it be possible to make them handle names with the Swedish characters å, ä and ö?

Peder

Unfortunately, I've got the same problem.
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Peter:

The latest alpha should now support style names in Unicode, I believe. Please let me know if that is not the case.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:Hi Peter:

The latest alpha should now support style names in Unicode, I believe. Please let me know if that is not the case.

-Charles
I can confirm that it's working now as it's supposed to work. Great!
Peter Edwardsson