Moving text

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
bigcaat

Moving text

Post by bigcaat »

Hi.

Is there a way I can move text without it simply copying what I'm moving? I'm getting tired of moving something, then constantly having to go back and delete what I just moved.

Thanks,
Caat
dshan

Moving text

Post by dshan »

Sure. You can move selected text by drag-and-dropping it or by cutting-and-pasting it (cmd-x, cmd-v or Edit->Cut, Edit->Paste).
bigcaat

Re: Moving text

Post by bigcaat »

dshan wrote:Sure. You can move selected text by drag-and-dropping it or by cutting-and-pasting it (cmd-x, cmd-v or Edit->Cut, Edit->Paste).
I understand I can cut and paste it, but that's much more of a hassle than dragging and dropping. I didn't word my question right. Is there no setting that I can change, or modifier key I can use, when I drag and drop, which will allow me to simply move it rather than copy it? When I select, drag and drop, all it does is copy it. It doesn't remove the original, and then I have to go back and select it again, and then delete. Or... I have to cut and paste, which is a pain compared to normal drag and drop.

Thanks,
Caat
dshan

Drag and Drop

Post by dshan »

That's very odd -- drag and drop moves the selected text by default. You use the option key to make it copy the dragged text. As far as I know you can't change the default behaviour, no preferences settings or anything. What version of NWX and OS X is this? Might be worth trying a drag and drop with option pressed and see if that changes the behaviour...
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Are you by chance moving text from one document to another? Dragging and dropping within a document moves text, but dragging and dropping between documents copies it.

--Craig
bigcaat

Post by bigcaat »

dshan wrote:That's very odd -- drag and drop moves the selected text by default. You use the option key to make it copy the dragged text. As far as I know you can't change the default behaviour, no preferences settings or anything. What version of NWX and OS X is this? Might be worth trying a drag and drop with option pressed and see if that changes the behaviour...
I'm on Nisus version 2.1.3 and OS X version 10.3.9. It's been this way since I can remember and I've gone through several upgrades, both system and Nisus.

I've always meant to ask about it, but have just never gotten around to it. I just thought the copy aspect was the default. How very odd. Maybe I need to call Nisus. It won't let me hold the option key and move it.

Caat
Last edited by bigcaat on 2005-08-31 07:46:10, edited 2 times in total.
bigcaat

Post by bigcaat »

cchapin wrote:Are you by chance moving text from one document to another? Dragging and dropping within a document moves text, but dragging and dropping between documents copies it.

--Craig
Hi Craig.

No. Dragging and dropping within the same document.

Caat
bigcaat

Post by bigcaat »

Okay. Here's the deal. I just talked to Nisus. It appears that the problem was only happening for text created within a table. The 2.5 Beta version doesn't have the same problem.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Caat