Are there plans to offer full OpenType support in NWE?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
stu2

Are there plans to offer full OpenType support in NWE?

Post by stu2 »

I was hoping to be able to use NWE 2.5 for biblical Hebrew fonts supporting proper vowels, cantillation and accents. While I haven't tested this myself, contacting Linguist Software (http://www.linguistsoftware.com/), who makes such fonts produced the following response:

"Our NewJerusalemU font only works for consonantal text in Nisus. Since our handling of vowels, cantillation, and accents is a function of OpenType tables in our fonts, my conclusion is that Nisus 2.5 works together with System 10's Hebrew language support, but is not yet fully OpenType compliant.

My contact with a Nisus Corporation said he could not tell me if Nisus were OpenType compliant or not, so I would have to test it myself. From what I can see, Nisus 2.5 is NOT OpenType compliant."

I really like NWE's interface, and would much prefer to use this. And I understand that OpenType may not be a feature needed by the masses. But for those who need it... well, it's a show stopper. The only alternative I could find is Mellel. I'm not happy with their interface though, and look forward to when I can switch to NWE.

Thanks! Nice job on NWE 2.5, which looks like a very slick word processor.
cgc

Post by cgc »

I hate to say this, but you may want to check out Mellel (http://www.redlers.com) as it fully supports OpenType. I think the developer is in Israel as well. With that said, I have bought Nisus as it is easier and more natural to use.
marc

Post by marc »

FWIW I think full OpenType/OS X advanced typography support (beyond the automatic ligatures) would be a welcome addition to NWX, and would obviously answer some of the issues with international support.

This would also help to fix some UI issues around the use of the System-provided Fonts panel, vs the Nisus formatting controls in the drawer; several of the formatting features in the Fonts panel do nothing, and the colour control can be hit-and-miss.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Just so you should know… this is a high priority bug to fix.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.