Virus on Nisus Website?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cgc

Virus on Nisus Website?

Post by cgc »

I emailed your Webmaster several times with no reply or attempt to eliminate this so I will post it here.

From my work PC (Windows XP and Symantex Antivirus) and from my occurs everytime I select "SUPPORT" on your Nisus web page (http://www.nisus.com/). Actually, in Windows, Symantec detects the virus when I enter your site and on my Mac ClamAV detects it after I scan for viruses. The message is the same so I'll post a screenshot of my ClamAV warning, sorry it's so wide:

I don't think this is normal or acceptable. If it is not a virus, what is it? Everyone needs to scan their computers (the java cache especially). Thanks.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

I think someone from Nisus should have replied to this. Tthe Safari MS05-013 looks like a Windows only virus and ineffective on a Mac. Don't know about the Java stuff but maybe it could be problematic.

cheers,

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
cgc

Post by cgc »

Right...I looked the two viruses on the Internet and they are Windows only. I check Nisus news from work on a Windows machine as well.

A responsible webmaster should have responded to me a month ago when I first saw this (it didn't appear until middle August). It is still there and makes them look bad.
HeatherKay

Post by HeatherKay »

Just want to point out that I visit this site regularly, and I haven't picked up any Java viruses. Unless the files noted are invisible, I don't even have a Java cache folder in my User Library.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Just want to point out that I visit this site regularly, and I haven't picked up any Java viruses. Unless the files noted are invisible, I don't even have a Java cache folder in my User Library.
I checked mine but couldn't find any of the files listed although I do have a Java cache folder - no idea why though.

Come on Nisus people, you really should remove them.

cheers,

Tacitus[/quote]
cgc

Post by cgc »

On my work computer I get the same virus alert every single time I click on "support" on the Nisus home page.

Edit: I think some of you don't have the virus or even the cache on your computer because you are using Java 1.4.2. I have Java 1.5 on both my work and home computer (Apple released Java 5.0 / aka 1.5) months ago.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

cgc wrote:On my work computer I get the same virus alert every single time I click on "support" on the Nisus home page.

Edit: I think some of you don't have the virus or even the cache on your computer because you are using Java 1.4.2. I have Java 1.5 on both my work and home computer (Apple released Java 5.0 / aka 1.5) months ago.
It may be because I am still on 10.3.9. I think Java 1.5 is only on Tiger.

Tacius
cgc

Post by cgc »

Java 1,5 isn't distributed via Software Update either...only from Apple's website.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

I am not the webmaster, but I would like to answer this to ease a few minds. Our webmaster is on a well deserved vacation at the moment. I am just answering this in his stead.

I contacted our web host and they have assured me that they have not found a virus. I also downloaded a copy of our site and scanned it using Clam AV and it found nothing. Just so you know, our host uses Unix/Linux and a ton of open source software such as Apache and PHP, not Typhoid Mary (aka Windows). If there were a virus, I have a feeling that more than one person would have let us know, since according to our logs, more people view our site via Internet Explorer 6 (Windows) than any other browser save for Safari.

I hope this clears this up. If you have any questions, you can write to me directly at dave at nisus dot com.

Dave
dave
Official Nisus Person

Post by dave »

I am not the webmaster, but I would like to answer this to ease a few minds. Our webmaster is on a well deserved vacation at the moment. I am just answering this in his stead.

I contacted our web host and they have assured me that they have not found a virus. I also downloaded a copy of our site and scanned it using Clam AV and it found nothing. Just so you know, our host uses Unix/Linux and a ton of open source software such as Apache and PHP, not Typhoid Mary (aka Windows). If there were a virus, I have a feeling that more than one person would have let us know, since according to our logs, more people view our site via Internet Explorer 6 (Windows) than any other browser save for Safari.

I hope this clears this up. If you have any questions, you can write to me directly at dave at nisus dot com.

Dave
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have Norton Antivirus on my Mac, and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition client on my PC, and have never gotten a virus message after visiting the Nisus site.

I'm not sure how it would occur, but it seems like it may be something on your own computer. You might also run spyware programs such as Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com), Spybot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org), and HiJack This (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html).
cgc

Post by cgc »

Ryan wrote:I have Norton Antivirus on my Mac, and Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition client on my PC, and have never gotten a virus message after visiting the Nisus site.

I'm not sure how it would occur, but it seems like it may be something on your own computer. You might also run spyware programs such as Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com), Spybot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org), and HiJack This (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html).
I believe it has something to do with Java 1.5. but it occurs on work and home machines (Windows XP and Mac Tiger). Work computer has ad blocking software on the POP and numerous protections (military installation) so I do not think it is a problem exclusive to my machine. Do you have Java 1.5. installed?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That's a good thought. No, I only have Java 1.4.2 installed, on OS 10.3.9.
bluloo

Post by bluloo »

I experience the same thing on my work PC. I get a notification that there was malicious code or a virus blocked by Symantec.

No probs at home on 10.4.2, safari or Firefox.
cgc

Post by cgc »

bluloo wrote:I experience the same thing on my work PC. I get a notification that there was malicious code or a virus blocked by Symantec.

No probs at home on 10.4.2, safari or Firefox.
AHA! Thanks for the backup.