Bookends

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
heidii

Bookends

Post by heidii »

as i am a new user i wonder how to use the bookends application? i am used to mellel, where i just copied the citation and then scaned the document. how am i doing that with nisus? i could insert the reference but have no clue, how to scan the document. can anyone help?
thanks
l
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Look under Macro.
heidii

Post by heidii »

i looked under macro, but what exactly do i have to do there? sorry i really have no clue at all... please explain for someone who has no clue. so macro, and then?
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

heidii wrote:i looked under macro, but what exactly do i have to do there? sorry i really have no clue at all... please explain for someone who has no clue. so macro, and then?
I believe it's "scan bookends." Sorry I can't be more help. I don't use bookends (even though I oughta).
heidii

Post by heidii »

well i think i am blind! i don't see anything under macro with "scan" or "bookends" if i would i would have tried that. hmmm anyone else maybe who actually uses bookends? thanks anyway.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

heidii wrote:...... i don't see anything under macro with "scan" or "bookends" if i would i would have tried that. ......
Look under Biblio -> Scan a document. There should be two macros in your macro folder:' Bookends Find' and 'Bookends Go'.

BE should scan any RTF doc so you should be OK with NWE although the level of integration is nowhere near as good as it is with Mellel. Hint to the dev team :D

HTH

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

I am, of course, assuming you're using NWE 2.5
heidii

Post by heidii »

how did you insert the picture? so i can show you mine, and there is nothing mentioned like bookends
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

heidii wrote:.......there is nothing mentioned like bookends
Can't remember but I think you may have to manually copy them from the Bookends disk.

It might also be worth hanging out on the Bookends forum which you can find via the SonnySoftware site. http://www.sonnysoftware.com They're a helpful crowd. Jon Ashwell the Bookends author is particularly so.

Tacitus
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

midwinter wrote:Image

I am, of course, assuming you're using NWE 2.5
Thanks Midwinter - I missed the Bookends Scan a doc in my reply to Heidii :-) I generally use footnotes and paste in the reference.

cheers,

Tacitus
dragon

Macro for Bookends

Post by dragon »

Heidii,

As Tacitus mentioned, Forum in Bookends' web site as well as Jon at Sonny Software, are very helpful. Also, there is a folder in Bookends folder called "Macros for Nisus Writer Express" and you can find a file expaining how to install Bookends' Macro. But......

You won't find "Scan" macro in the recent builds of Bookends anymore. So, you won't be able to scan the file directly using macro. However, you can save the file in Nisus Ex first, and then scan that file from Bookends. No problem, very simple, but one extra step.

According to Bookends side, "Scan" macro somehow stopped working in the recent versions of Nisus. My experience is the same. It worked fine until several months ago, and suddenly stopped. I don't remember the last version of Nisus where the "Scan" macro worked. It looks like something had changed in Nisus, which made the "Scan" macro not working. I asked about this problem in the forum here, but I guess my question got, a kind of, ignored. No explanation from Nisus side. Well, I didn't send an e-mail directly to nisus.com (probably I shoud have), because I thought it was an important issue for the users using both Nisus and Bookends.

As I and some other pointed out in the "3.0 Feature Request List" room, I do want more tight integration of both softwares. Bit it looks like Nisus has no interest in working with Bookends. VERY DISAPPOINTING. I also don't get many replies what others think about on this issue. I'm not quite sure but main users of Bookends may not be using Nisus but Mellel???

In the long story short, you can scan Nisus file from Bookends with no problem, but you can't scan directly from Nisus.

It is possible that I'm missing something. I would like to know if anyone has succeeded scaning files from most recent versions of Nisus (2.5) and Bookends (8.1.1).
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

You're right, the scan a document macro does not seem to work any longer. I haven't tried NWE and BE together for a year or more. Have been using Bookend together with Mellel since my studies at the university demands a more mature WP than NWE can offer right now. NWE is good, but still lacks some features that Mellel already has.

I hope that Nisus will start to work together with Sonny Software in trying to integrate NWE with Bookend. It would be good for both, not mention their customers. :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

We are looking into the matter. We've got an engineer on it now.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
heidii

Post by heidii »

i switched back to work with mellel. the bookends problem and that there is no index tool, made it impossible for me to work with nisus, unfortunately. i really love the table feature as they are far better than mellel. a combination of both programs would be great! thanks for all your help
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

MacSailor wrote:..........Have been using Bookend together with Mellel since my studies at the university demands a more mature WP than NWE can offer right now. NWE is good, but still lacks some features that Mellel already has.

I hope that Nisus will start to work together with Sonny Software in trying to integrate NWE with Bookend. It would be good for both, not mention their customers. :wink:
I tried using Mellel a while back when the first versions of NWE came out. I too liked the integration with Bookends but got fed up with the Mellel interface and came back to NWE2.5 which I now use regularly.

Regarding the Nisus BEends integration, some years ago I cajoled Jon Ashwell into producing the initial macros that came with Nisus Classic. This was in the days when we were working on the betas of BEnds 6. I think the reason for the lack of any further integration is that it is not high on Nisus list of priorities. As a small software house they have to draw the line somewhere if they are going to get anything through the door. I have argued in the past that Nisus should produce a set of plug-in APIs that anyone like BEnds can, well, plug in to. This may be covered within the Cocoa APIs already, but perhaps someone from Nisus could tell us

For me the current level of integration is usable since I use footnotes rather than Harvard system, so cmnd-K from within BEnds generally works fine. I must admit that better integration would be nice.

cheers,

Tacitus