Features of NWE 3.0

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Ooshima

Features of NWE 3.0

Post by Ooshima »

Hello Folks,

I'm an acadamic writer from germany an will go forward to my finally thesis in the next five months.
But I need urgently a Wordprocessor with TOC and inside file navigation.

NWE always promises to supply these functions, but I do not know whether this work will be locked before the end of mine thesis.

Hello Nisus (I'm an Nisus User since 1997 - and I missing Nisus Writer Classic so much!) please give me a hint or better an roadmap with an exact date of the completion (e.g. TOC an Filenavigation)!

Many Thanks
Ooshima
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I need urgently a Wordprocessor with TOC and inside file navigation. ....(I'm an Nisus User since 1997 - and I missing Nisus Writer Classic so much!
Missing the old NW–me too! I keep checking in, hoping to find the return of features such as Markers, but not yet.

There was no reply from Nisus to your post of 2 weeks ago...can someone please let us know the prospects of getting TOC and markers back?
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

hi ooshima,

give Mellel a try. it have toc and and excellent outline feature to navigate through the document.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Reiner wrote:hi ooshima,

give Mellel a try. it have toc and and excellent outline feature to navigate through the document.
It's also fugly. :o
shades

Post by shades »

I've been called worse, and I still can do some valuable work. ;)

Well, Mellel does give you an option on the interface. And it works. Unfortunately NWE does not support soft-returns in 10.3.9, so it is not very useful for me, even on this one point.
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

shades wrote:I've been called worse, and I still can do some valuable work. ;)

Well, Mellel does give you an option on the interface.
Indeed. It gives you the option of writing in iTunes or writing in iTunes. ;)

I just can't get past the interface.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I can't give you an exact date when TOC/markers will be available, but we are working on this feature. However, I would not expect it for our next minor upgrade.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Martin,

Are you guys going to float any public betas? I'm actually kind of interested in some meta discussion of the alpha/beta process—how much feedback did you get? Was it helpful? Do you plan to continue it?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Beta testing is immensely helpful for us, and we really appreciate the work our testers put in for us. I have to thank those of you on this board (and those who do not post to the board) for helping make version 2.5 as good as it is. It's definitely our best release so far, and I think the longer beta cycle was a component to that.

One element of public betas is that the majority of downloaders are not going to give you much feedback. You have a core group who report issues somewhat regularly, and the rest just seem to be curious-- basically the equivalent of forum lurkers. So I'm not sure if there will be public betas for our next minor release (or the next major release down the road), but we will definitely try to recruit testers who were active during the last beta. In fact, if anyone reading this is interested in helping us test future versions, send an email to me at expressfeedback@nisus.com.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I appreciated the betas, and it was good to give back a bit to you guys (in terms of helping you make better software, which I guess comes back and benefits me, so everyone's really happy!).

I do recall a few people on various forums and sites complaining about the public betas, saying it showed you didn't test your own software. Clearly that's neither true nor valid, since 2.5 turned out rock-stable and quite delicious. But I can also see why you might not want to just go and release unfinished software, knowing some people will download the beta and judge it as though it were a final release.

At any rate, count me in for next time. I already sent you an email, Martin, so just let me know what I can do and when I can do it.
Ooshima

Post by Ooshima »

Hello Nisus Friends and Users,
a long time no responses, them I went to a short holidaytrip to croatia (nice country) and now so many responses, notes and comments.

First, naturally I tried out mellel, but how midwinter point out: its look like iTunes and use an independent Fileformat.
Second, I WANT to give Nisus a chance, because I'm SO content with Classic all the passed years.

Thanks to martin for your honest response - I will wait and looking forward for public alphas and betas too.
However, for my thesis, I will use Nisus Express and probably InDesign for the last Formatting and TOC and Indexes.

Thanks for all replies

Ooshima from Germany
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Actually, if you have InDesign, in many ways that will always be more powerful and flexible. It has great TOC and indexing features, layout, and a whole lot of other cool stuff NWE never will (and never should) have.

Of course, TOC and indexing are definitely within the realm of what would be great to have in Express. :?

Oh, and count me in the vote about Mellel feeling like writing with iTunes. And generally being fairly confusing to learn.