menu-fonts not available as wysiwyg?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
erich

menu-fonts not available as wysiwyg?

Post by erich »

I am new to Express 2.5. I have been using Nisus Writer 5 until yesterday. How can I display a menu-font in WYSIWYG modus? This has been a difficult issue with old Nisus versions. Command-T (show fonts) is not very useful because the window is to big to leave it open all the time.

Thanks

Erich
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

As far as I know, it's not possible within NWE 2.5 yet. Hopefully it will be possible in a future version…

Maybe someone at Nisus Inc knows if and when it will be implemented?
Peter Edwardsson
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

A WYSIWYG font menu would be great (probably with a disable option in the Preferences). I would love to see this in NWE. I use the Show Fonts panel for in-depth font control, sometimes, but I just think the NWE menus and palettes are so well-designed and beautifully-integrated that I'd prefer them. I love that the Styles palette gives a WYSIWYG preview of what the style will look like.

Two workarounds:
You can make your new document template have individually-defined styles for all your common fonts you use. Then, the Styles palette becomes like a WYSIWYG font menu (well, sort of… okay, not really, but it's something).

Second, there are a few utilities, such as Unsanity's FontCard and You Software's you control: fonts. These theoretically let normal Cocoa and Carbon apps have better font menus. I've not tried either of these, and I don't even know if they work with NWE, but they're worth a shot.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm happy to say that the next free Express update will include a WYSIWYG font menu. This feature will be a preference, so those who don't want it will be able to turn it off.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Wow. That's about as much as anyone could ask for!

Well, there's always world peace, but that's next on my list.
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

Ryan wrote:Wow. That's about as much as anyone could ask for!

Well, there's always world peace, but that's next on my list.
I assume they're saving that feature for NWE 3.0, of course :wink:

Seriously, I don't often use the WYSIWYG feature in other WP programs, except when I'm considering altering a font and I don't want to spend time guessing what some of the oddly-named fonts look like. So that would be a handy addition.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

You might take a look at FontSight from www.stone.com. It adds a WYSIWYG item to every the font menu or the menubar of just about every Cocoa application.
DavidK

wysiwyg fonts in 2.6

Post by DavidK »

I seem to remember that in classic Nisus, the wysiwyg feature could be toggled with the option or command key. Can this happen in Express? I don't like the feature on all the time because it is difficult to read the name of the font (especially in Hebrew fonts), but it would be nice to be able to quickly toggle WYSIWYG on and off.