Where is OpenOffice and OpenDocument support ??

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
M-Rick

Where is OpenOffice and OpenDocument support ??

Post by M-Rick »

Since Nisus uses the filter from Abiword, where is the support for OpenOffice and OpenDocument ??

Also in Europe, OpenDocument and OpenOffice formats support is very import since a lot of administrations use OpenOffice as word processors.

So I don't understand why Nisus has removed the support for these 2 files formats, really completely unlogical since the import filter is based on open source technology ...
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

If possible I would love to see ODT-Support for NWX coming up through the Abiword ODT-Plugin. As I see it, NWX would be the only real native Mac OS X app that supports it. (Yes, I know about NeoOffice)

I guess many would at least give NWX a try and then fall in love with its beauty and power. :-)
FG

Post by FG »

If NWE had support for OpenDocument, I would buy it without hesitation, right now, as I need to work with this file format. I'm stuck with NeoOffice, reliable but slow and bad looking, or OOo, which implies the use of X11. I really would like to be able to use NWE instead, as it is so beautiful and has features I miss, like editable shortcuts…
Please, developpers, listen to my wish… Make the first true Mac app that can deal with a file format that as a great potential.
gemboy27

huh

Post by gemboy27 »

I am confused by OpenDocument. Isn't that what RTF files are?

I have transfered files from iMac to PC and Nisus to Word. I don't do a lot of formating, but some and I don't have problems

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
FG

Post by FG »

@ Gemboy27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument

Well documented and very interested ; and, I hope, convincing.

FG[/url]
gemboy27

not publisher or excel

Post by gemboy27 »

I still see .rtf as a means to go from word processor to word processor and computer to computer with word processing...

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
joehardy

Re: not publisher or excel

Post by joehardy »

gemboy27 wrote:I still see .rtf as a means to go from word processor to word processor and computer to computer with word processing...

Gem*Boy
And for now it's working fine for me. I write my collection of non-fiction short stories in NWE, but Pages allows me to create a Table of Contents (until, hopefully, that feature shows up in NWE) and I can also open RTF created in NWE in Word and use the grammar checker.
Also, I simply save faculty meeting minutes with the .doc extension and e-mail them to my colleagues and they can all open the document in Windows versions of Word.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
gemboy27

TOC ---> Index?

Post by gemboy27 »

I haven't had a need to get fancy yet... The one thing I wonder why not many people are asking about is indexing.

a long time ago I had a program (forget the name) with my Kaypro II computer and as you typed (or you could go back and do it) you could embed a index code (' < index > ') and then when you printed your document it would put that word in the index, sort it and put a page number on it.

right now I have as much need for that as a table of contents, but it seems like a TOC would be easy to manually created, where as an index, not so easy.

Gem*

Oopse I noticed there was a thread on indexing... with a response

http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ight=index
martinkerz

Post by martinkerz »

Okay then, here's another rather simple question:

Can NWX use Abiword's plugins easily, i.e. does it support its plugin architecture or is it a hard job?

If it's not so hard, it would be a rather "political" decision.

Once again: I would love to see ODT-support (through the very good AbiSource plugin)!