finding a file path --- out of the wilderness

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gemboy27

finding a file path --- out of the wilderness

Post by gemboy27 »

Is there an easy way to copy a file path, so it can be linked into a document

i.e.

file:writer/plays/1771/1771.rtf

I have an amazingly hard time going back and forth --- copying and pasting --- backing up folder by folder.

Thanks for any help
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm not sure there's any way for the Finder to give you this information easily. As you say, copying each folder name is tedious.

You could open the file in NWP and then use the "Insert Document Path" macro. Here's another macro that copies the current document's path to the clipboard:

Code: Select all

$path = Document Property “file path”
Write Clipboard $path
Hamid

Re: finding a file path --- out of the wilderness

Post by Hamid »

gemboy27 wrote:I have an amazingly hard time going back and forth --- copying and pasting --- backing up folder by folder.
If I understand you correctly, you want to get the path of several items at the same time. In this case, you can open a new file in SubEthaEdit and drag and drop on to it the icons of all the files and/or folders whose path you want. All paths will be written to the open SubEthaEdit file.
You can download SubEthaEdit 2.2, which is still free, from:
http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/old.html
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

Not several at the same time

but several

Like if I created a NW-P document that wuold be kind of an index
and in it would be hyperlinks to several projects that i am working on

one o fthe things I do is have "the project" file and then I often have a couple auxiliary files that go with it: "the project notes" "The project outline"

so having the links to t hem in one file or having links from a to b+ c; c to b + a; and b to a + c. is helpful...

did I muddle it more
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
gemboy27

thank you

Post by gemboy27 »

martin wrote:I'm not sure there's any way for the Finder to give you this information easily. As you say, copying each folder name is tedious.

You could open the file in NWP and then use the "Insert Document Path" macro. Here's another macro that copies the current document's path to the clipboard:

$path = Document Property “file path”
Write Clipboard $path
just what I was looking for.

is there some place to find code for those macros -- a quick look in the manual didn't turn up anything...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Besides the macros that come with NWP, you can look at the macro repository. There's not much there yet, but hopefully it will grow once NWP is out. You could also post/read the macro forum.
dshan

Post by dshan »

You can do the same thing with Applescript for any file in the Finder. No need to launch NWX.

set itemPath to ""
set uPath to ""
tell application "Finder"
	activate
	set itemPath to selection as string
	set uPath to POSIX path of itemPath
	set the clipboard to uPath
end tell
Select the file or folder you want the path to in the Finder, run the above script, and it's path is placed in the clipboard.
gemboy27

thanks x2

Post by gemboy27 »

great, it's the first time I have used a script --- I think
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

martin wrote:Besides the macros that come with NWP, you can look at the macro repository. There's not much there yet, but hopefully it will grow once NWP is out. You could also post/read the macro forum.
I have looked at both, and as you mentioned, not much going on. hopefully more to come.