Hebrew font follow up

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
baruchsienna

Hebrew font issues

Post by baruchsienna »

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 4.59.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 4.59.31 PM.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 11733 times
I opened a document and the Hebrew vowels no longer appear properly aligned. The text appears ok when I export it into Mellel, so I assume that this is a Nisus specific issue. There are a lot of tables that don't export well, so exporting to Mellel is not my first choice. I'd rather Nisus was Hebrew font compatible.
Oddly, when I paste a snippet of Hebrew, it appears ok; when I paste a whole paragraph, the vowels are misaligned; see attached image.
baruchsienna

Hebrew font follow up

Post by baruchsienna »

Searching the forum, I see a (much older) post almost identical to mine: Hebrew vowels not properly displaying. I see that some fonts definitely don't work.
But it cannot be a font issue, or a Mac OS text handling issue, as I have four fonts that seem to display correctly in a new document. But the older document, SOME of the text is misaligned, yet if I re-type it, SOMETIMES it displays correctly (and sometimes not). It is very frustrating to go through the whole document and seem to use voodoo to get the inserted Hebrew to work. Sometimes I retype the whole line, (English included) and it's fine. Other times it is not. I cannot figure out what is going on.
I just downloaded the latest NWE, but it is not working. Any clues would be appreciated.
baruchsienna

Re: Hebrew font issues

Post by baruchsienna »

So, an update on this as it has been resolved.
The issue seems to the the carriage return; I believe if the carriage return is made with the Hebrew keyboard selected, the vowels shift. I deleted the carriage return and the text displayed correctly.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Hebrew font follow up

Post by martin »

The way Hebrew vowels are displayed in text is controlled by the system text engine and the fonts you are using. Some fonts have trouble, while others do not. Also, the version of your system (OSX / macOS) can also affect the problem.

I'm glad you resolved the problem. However, could you please send in a copy of your test document using the menu Help > Send Feedback? We can report the bug to Apple, so they can maybe fix it for some future system update.