Question about a keyboard shortcut symbol

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cchapin

Question about a keyboard shortcut symbol

Post by cchapin »

I apologize for posting such a basic question on the forum, but I'm fairly new to Macintosh computers, and I don't know where to find the answer.

For Insert > Section Break > Next Page NWE uses a default keyboard shortcut that looks like Option-Command- and then a symbol that looks like a carat breaking upward through a horizontal line. In the system Character Palette under the Lucida Grande glyph catalog it is

Unicode: 2324
     UTF8: E2 8C A4
     GID: 949

and is named "UP ARROWHEAD BETWEEN TWO HORIZONTAL." When I look under Preferences > Menu Keys, "Option" is checked but I can't see anything in the text box.

What does this symbol represent? I'm using a PowerBook, so perhaps I don't have that key on my keyboard.

Follow-up question. This mysterious key raises the question in my mind whether it is possible to create Menu Keys that use keys that don't input characters (such as function keys, arrow keys, escape, return, delete, tab). Does anybody know?

--Craig[/img]
MacSailor

Re: Question about a keyboard shortcut symbol

Post by MacSailor »

cchapin wrote: For Insert > Section Break > Next Page NWE uses a default keyboard shortcut that looks like Option-Command- and then a symbol that looks like a carat breaking upward through a horizontal line.

What does this symbol represent? I'm using a PowerBook, so perhaps I don't have that key on my keyboard.--Craig[/img]

On my PowerBook (with Swedish keyboard) this key is just to the right of the space key. I do not know if it's the same at your keyboard, but it might be worth testing.

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Thank you, Peter. On my (U.S.) PowerBook keyboard, the key to the right of the spacebar is a command key, but to the right of that is a key labeled enter. That appears to be the right key.

If I wanted to use that key or another non-character key (escape, delete, F1, home, etc.) in a user-defined Menu Key, how would I do that?

--Craig
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

cchapin wrote:If I wanted to use that key or another non-character key (escape, delete, F1, home, etc.) in a user-defined Menu Key, how would I do that?

--Craig
I'm not sure if it works, but the manual says something about changing the menu keys on pages 157-158. I haven't tested it my self yet, though
Peter Edwardsson
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Thanks, Peter. The user guide doesn't answer that question. I kind of suspect that it isn't possible, but I'm curious.

--Craig
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

cchapin wrote:Thanks, Peter. The user guide doesn't answer that question. I kind of suspect that it isn't possible, but I'm curious.

--Craig
Sorry Craig, that's beyond of my knowledge.

But I can tell you that I had real good sailing tour today. The wind was somewhere near moderate or fresh gale and the waves where sometimes nearly between 3-4 meters high. That's what I call sailing! 8)
Peter Edwardsson
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

On my PowerBook it's the fn key: Command, fn and Return. New sections are the same plus Option. What is this on a standard keyboard that lacks an fn key? A lexicon explaining such hieroglyphics ought to be in the manual but if it is, I can't find it.
charles

Post by charles »

That "^" is indeed the Enter key. I think you CAN use function, return, and other such keys for Menu keys. You definitely can when assigning shortcuts to styles in the Style Sheet view. (Click on the box labeled "Shortcut:" to assign a shortcut to the style. Unlike Menu Keys, these shortcuts get activated each time you open the document.)

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

If that is your intent, then you seem to have another bug to fix. On my Powerbook, command/enter opens a new file, it doesn't create a new page. Command/option/enter does nothing. Adding fn and/or control to either of the above sees nothing happen at all.