Vanishing footnotes

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Speireag

Vanishing footnotes

Post by Speireag »

So I downloaded 2.1 in hopes of bug fixes (specifically, I have an assignment to produce a tri-fold brochure, landscape orientation, and the current refusal-to-save-the-column-width behavior is irritating). No fixes which directly impact what I'm trying to do right now, anyhow.

So for the first time I tried generating a footnote. Two problems:

. the superscript causes the line to drop, and there's no way to adjust the superscript height so that doesn't happen (this was one of the things I loved about WriteNow, now long defunct).

. the paragraph text prints behind the footer, visually, so that text is obscured by the footer instead of continuing immediately to the next page.

I want to like Nisus. I really do. I hate the evil empire, and I was happy to pay for Nisus in 1.x, even though it was clearly very much in development. But it seems to be very buggy. I can't rely on it to do very straightforward word-processing tasks (like scrolling more than three lines on one mouse click, or displaying a saved document just as it looked before, or copying text from one document to another without losing font info).

One thing which annoys me is that I can place the cursor, and go set the font to what I want, and then start tying and find that the font setting didn't happen. In order to change a font where there is no text, I have to type the text, select it, and change it. If I do this to a line of text, and then backspace to the beginning of the line, the font reverts to the font from the previous line. Very annoying.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into a rant. I love being able to save to pdf, and it has gotten me through some basic production needs.

Anyone got a fix for the text-behind-footnote thing?

-Speireag.
delackner

Post by delackner »

Adjust superscript height:
Format -> Baseline -> Raise / Lower

Re: text behind footnotes, if you see stuff like this then use the built-in feedback system to send the document please. If you are using ENDNOTES (per section or per page) then this has been fixed already.

The inability to apply formatting to an empty paragraph is on our list of things to fix.