Trash prefs?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
johnb

Trash prefs?

Post by johnb »

After upgrading to the latest version (2.1) NWE has got very unstable, crashing 50% of the time when opening a new document.

Am I the only one experiencing this? I don't think it's a corrupt file or such like as it can happen with any document. Is it recommended to trash the NWE prefs, and if so, which ones?

Thanks for any feedback.
GeoffRoynon

Trash prefs?

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I am also having crashing problems in 2.1 but not as often as 50% - more like 20%.

I have reported this to Nisus but have no idea what is causing it. If I do find a cause or a fix I will report back.

Geoff
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
johnb

Post by johnb »

Just for the record I'm running NWE on a 1.25PB, 1Gb RAM, OS X.3.5
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

I have also experienced more crashes the last days with NWE 2.1 than I did with 2.0.1. I can’t give you any percentage indicator though.
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

Just to let you know that we have found a crasher bug introduced in 2.1 that happens especially after you open and close a document quickly (before the background spell checker has time to finish checking the document.) We are working on a fix right now and we will make it available to you ASAP.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have found that NWE is very unstable when opening Macro files (in the Macros folder, with .pl extensions) and then trying to Paste (or drag 'n drop) text into them. Always crashes for me -- anybody else?
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Yesterday I had a NWE document that crashed Spell Catcher all the time. As soon as I tried to do anything in NWE, it crashed Spell Catcher and Spell Catcher restarted itself all the time and after some minutes I decided I had enough of it. I had to restart the computer to be able to work with NWE and Spell Catcher.

Today it has been working without any problems, but I have not been working as much as I did yesterday.

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Peter:

This bug we are working on may or may not be the cause of the problems you experienced with Spell Catcher. This one is tricky because it is timing related which means it can appear to jump around on you. (Even though that is not really the case.)

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:Peter:

This bug we are working on may or may not be the cause of the problems you experienced with Spell Catcher. This one is tricky because it is timing related which means it can appear to jump around on you. (Even though that is not really the case.)

-Charles
Yeah, it seems to be a »jumpin’ bug». :wink:

Hope you get rid of it asap, just can’t stand »jumpin’ bugs»…
Peter Edwardsson
mmallett

Post by mmallett »

:)

Yes, having several crashes here on opening up a document. Glad to hear a fix is on the way. Have already lost work.