fixed line spacing

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
phillman5

fixed line spacing

Post by phillman5 »

In NWE how do you set fixed line spacing? When I insert special characters or inline graphics, many times this causes the line spacing to change and I personally think that looks very unprofessional. PS: I know how to change the line spacing. :idea:
ninjagame

fixed line spacing

Post by ninjagame »

I second the question! In my texts the effect appears when I change the font size, e.g. from 12pt to 14pt. First I thought the problem could be in the line spacing (1.3) but even when I set the line spacing to 1.8 or 2.0 lines with these minor changes in the font size appear somehow subscript.
shades

Post by shades »

Yep, I have the problem when I use a Hebrew font that requires higher line height, everything on the line changes. Something an "exact line spacing" would be ideal.
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

We do not currently support fixed line height. It is high on our list though!

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote:We do not currently support fixed line height. It is high on our list though!
How high is it on your list? Is it just high or is it very high? :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Oh, in between. I would say "somewhat very high" maybe. :P

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
jwx1

Fixed line height - Please

Post by jwx1 »

For anyone doing WP work for distribution/publication, fixed line height adds tremendously to the professional appearance of the work.

While I know NWE isn't a desktop publishing app, I originally chose Nisus (in the good old days of OS 8-9) because the printed page it produced by default looked, and was, more correct in terms of typography than its competitors.

That advantage seems to have been lost in NWE.

Regards.
John
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

I would state it rather more strongly: variable line-spacing is unacceptable for any purpose other than drafts. This is not a matter of fancy typesetting. Even a typewriter will allow you to insert a superscript without changing the spacing between lines.
shades

Post by shades »

maurerc wrote:I would state it rather more strongly: variable line-spacing is unacceptable for any purpose other than drafts. This is not a matter of fancy typesetting. Even a typewriter will allow you to insert a superscript without changing the spacing between lines.
Click.Click.Click.Click...

Don't mind me, I just rehearsing my skills on the 1921 Underwood that I (sorta) learned to type on many moons ago. ;)
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
jmlee

Exact Line Spacing

Post by jmlee »

I'd like to wholeheartedly agree that the absence of exact line spacing is a key feature that keeps me from using NWE as my core word processor and forces me back to Word for important documents. You really need to get this feature in.

Mike
J. Michael Lee
Biomedical Eng.
Dalhousie Univ.
Halifax, NS B3H3J5 Canada