Small Request: New Icon

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gpercy

Small Request: New Icon

Post by gpercy »

I love working with Nisus Writer. Ever since OS X arrived, I longed for an alternative word processor that could free me from having to use Word. I started working with Okito Composer, and followed it over to Nisus. My only request is a small one ... a new and re-designed application icon for the Dock.

Thank you,

Gerry
gemboy27

talk about irony

Post by gemboy27 »

are you talking the guy with the pen

Image[/url]

that is whacked, I think the guy is righteous

this icon kicks the behind of all the other icons in my dock
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
gpercy

Re: talk about irony

Post by gpercy »

Yup ... don't like the guy with the pen.
gemboy27

guy with pen rocks

Post by gemboy27 »

are you put off by the blue manliness or the pen

like wouldyou want a red anorexic guy with a typewriter

maybe we should start a pole -- or a fondation

save the nisus man

and the blue guy could maybe use his pen as a harpoon :twisted:
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
charles

Post by charles »

Interestingly: This version of "The Nisus Guy" was developed by the same person who did the open titles for Spider-Man.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
midwinter

Re: guy with pen rocks

Post by midwinter »

[quote="gemboy27"]Image

I reversed the icon a while back so the Nisus guy actually made a proper "N" instead of a backwards "N."
gpercy

Post by gpercy »

I won't hold my breath for a new icon. I'd be happy using the Okito typewriter again. So Charles ... any chance someone could get their hands on a copy of the Okito .icns file?

Thanks,
Gerry
Todd

pen = ?

Post by Todd »

gemboy27 wrote: are you put off by the blue manliness or the pen

My inner Freudian wonders if one symbolizes the other.

:shock:
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

gpercy wrote:I won't hold my breath for a new icon. I'd be happy using the Okito typewriter again. So Charles ... any chance someone could get their hands on a copy of the Okito .icns file?

Thanks,
Gerry
I missed that. It would be interesting to see that »old» Okito typewriter. Where can I find it or have a look at it? Okito.org? 8)
Peter Edwardsson
gpercy

Post by gpercy »

Peter Edwardsson wrote:I missed that. It would be interesting to see that »old» Okito typewriter. Where can I find it or have a look at it? Okito.org?
There's a snapshot of it on this review page:
http://brianboos.com/reviews/okitocomposer04d2/
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

gpercy wrote:
Peter Edwardsson wrote:I missed that. It would be interesting to see that »old» Okito typewriter. Where can I find it or have a look at it? Okito.org?
There's a snapshot of it on this review page:
http://brianboos.com/reviews/okitocomposer04d2/
No offense Charles, but I prefer the present icon of the guy with the pen, instead of the old Okito typewriter. :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
gpercy

Post by gpercy »

Peter Edwardsson wrote:No offense Charles, but I prefer the present icon of the guy with the pen, instead of the old Okito typewriter. :wink:
Yeah, I guess my memory of it got better with the passing of time, but now that I've seen it again I'll pass as well (No offense Charles 2). By today's standards the Okito typewriter has too much detail in it to be effective and aesthetically pleasing in the dock, IMHO.

Coincidentally, I just came across an application icon this morning ... a classic circular typewriter key. Its a great example of what I had in mind when I started this topic ... an icon that is designed to look good in the dock and communicate the function of the application well. As it is, I've borrowed this icon and replaced the guy with the pen. Looks great!

I feel that some application icons work well on the splash screen when the app launches, but that same image suffers in the dock because of the smaller size. I feel that the NWE icon is an example of this.

I am curious who this guy is though? ... perhaps Mercury, the mythological Roman fleet-footed messenger of the gods? Carrying a calligraphy pen?
Last edited by gpercy on 2005-01-25 14:23:15, edited 1 time in total.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Ah, the (venerable) Nisus Man icon....
gpercy wrote:I am curious who this guy is though? ... perhaps Mercury, the mythological Roman fleet-footed messenger of the gods? Carrying a calligraphy pen?
You can learn more in the Nisus Writer Classic FAQ Who is that [masked] man?
I'll look into putting up the earlier versions of the graphics as well.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.