Upgrade to 3.0 costs money?!

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

garner wrote:I just managed to waste my time downloading the upgrade - I didn't read (or expect) that I'd have to pay for it, so I had to re-download and install the 2.7 version again.

Is Pro worth getting? I don't want to pay for an update of Express if it's already out of date.
I would not say that NWE 3.0 is out of date, but please give Pro a try. Download it and try it for free (15 days if I remember it correctly). If you like it, I believe it worth to upgrade to, if not keep the NWE 2.7.

If you are a student, you'll get the Pro version for even less, $39 and that's really a bargain.
Peter Edwardsson
dshan

Post by dshan »

garner wrote:I just managed to waste my time downloading the upgrade - I didn't read (or expect) that I'd have to pay for it, so I had to re-download and install the 2.7 version again.

Is Pro worth getting? I don't want to pay for an update of Express if it's already out of date.
Express is not "out of date". It's simply that there are now two products - Express and Pro - and each is aimed at a different type of user. If Express has all the features and facilities you require you can buy/keep using that product, but if you need the more advanced feature set of Pro you can buy/upgrade to that instead.

I really recommend you do read the release notes for any new version of any software product before you download it (or at least before you install it). It'll save you lots of problems. Also, it really pays to take regular backups of your system to avoid having to redownload stuff in case of problems.
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

dshan wrote:Express is not "out of date". It's simply that there are now two products - Express and Pro - and each is aimed at a different type of user.
As far as I can see, there are three products:

Nisus Express 2.7
Nisus Express 3.0
Nisus Pro 1.1

I still have 2.7 installed on my system because I refuse to pay for the "upgrade" to 3.0.

If Nisus continues its policy of charging for bug fixes then there are likely to be even more products.
cgc

Post by cgc »

I wouldn't consider NWE 3 a "bug-fix" but I do find the pricing between NWE 3 and NWP 1 odd. Either way, I'm gonna wait and see which one I want to upgrade my NWE 2.7 up to (only $18 difference between upgrades).

Keep up the good work Nisus.
duffy

I'm kind of p'd off

Post by duffy »

Every morning when I would write reports for court or DSS I'd get that message about upgrading.... and so I downloaded Nisus 3.0 -- didn't even really know that was its number. But I didn't install it. So I'd still get those annoying upgrade reminders. So this morning... with a report to finish to get to Disability Determination Services in NC on a patient I thought... ok, I'll take two minutes and install this and then finish typing and print it out to fax to DDS....

Installing, of course was a breeze. BUT. It was nowhere obvious (or I was hurrying) that this was as 30$ upgrade. So I install it and finish writing the psychological evaluation and print it preparatory to faxing the finished report and low and behold.... there was a DEMO watermark on the signature page! So I said to myself... well, that's a fine piece of crap (I used the other word). So I had my secretary white out as much of the DEMO BS as possible.

So we faxed it that way.

SO, I want to know how do I get rid of it. and get my old 2.7 back. Eh? I don't need new features. And $30. is the cost of my Hapkido for a month. But mostly, I just want to get rid of it and decide later if there is anything in the new version worth paying for. Because I don't play with word processors.... I use them for a specific purpose and that is to write psychological and court-related forensic reports and 2.7 worked quite nicely for that (as does Mellel, for example).

thanks,
dr rdw
r-sparks

Re: I'm kind of p'd off

Post by r-sparks »

duffy wrote:Every morning when I would write reports for court or DSS I'd get that message about upgrading.... and so I downloaded Nisus 3.0 -- didn't even really know that was its number. But I didn't install it. So I'd still get those annoying upgrade reminders. So this morning... with a report to finish to get to Disability Determination Services in NC on a patient I thought... ok, I'll take two minutes and install this and then finish typing and print it out to fax to DDS....

Installing, of course was a breeze. BUT. It was nowhere obvious (or I was hurrying) that this was as 30$ upgrade. So I install it and finish writing the psychological evaluation and print it preparatory to faxing the finished report and low and behold.... there was a DEMO watermark on the signature page! So I said to myself... well, that's a fine piece of crap (I used the other word). So I had my secretary white out as much of the DEMO BS as possible.

So we faxed it that way.

SO, I want to know how do I get rid of it. and get my old 2.7 back. Eh? I don't need new features. And $30. is the cost of my Hapkido for a month. But mostly, I just want to get rid of it and decide later if there is anything in the new version worth paying for. Because I don't play with word processors.... I use them for a specific purpose and that is to write psychological and court-related forensic reports and 2.7 worked quite nicely for that (as does Mellel, for example).

thanks,
dr rdw
You can download the old version of Nisus Express from here:

http://www.nisus.com/Express/oldversions.php

Just drag and drop the app into Applications. It will overwrite the old version and you shouldn't have to enter your old serial number again. Everything should work as usual.

To get rid of the annoying upgrade dialog, turn of the automatic update check in Preferences.
bigcaat

Re: Upgrade to 3.0 costs money?!

Post by bigcaat »

r-sparks wrote:Sadly, in one of those illogical business decisions favored by the software industry, I'm being asked to pay $30 to "upgrade" and receive necessary bug fixes. What's worse is that I was waiting for this fix through the Writer Pro period. We were promised it would arrive eventually.

iWork 08 is $79, which is just under twice the price of a new Nisus Express license, and you get a whole lot more (including a very, very good word processor).

I don't say this spitefully, but you guys really have just lost a loyal customer who liked your product. If I'm going to have to splash out cash on buying more software, I might as well pay for iWork 08 and get Keynotes/Numbers.
I agree. I just downloaded iWork last night, and it's great. I'm going to be buying that instead of the upgrade here. You get so much more than what this upgrade is giving.

I have turned a lot of people onto Nisus, but I guess I should thank them: if they hadn't have asked such a hefty price for either upgrade (3.0 or Pro) I might not have ever looked into iWork. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for an upgrade, I just think these upgrade prices are steep for what you get.)

Too bad, Nisus is an excellent program. And I like the fact that they're very personal but, for me, it's time to move on.
talik

Post by talik »

bigcaat wrote:
r-sparks wrote:Sadly, in one of those illogical business decisions favored by the software industry, I'm being asked to pay $30 to "upgrade" and receive necessary bug fixes. What's worse is that I was waiting for this fix through the Writer Pro period. We were promised it would arrive eventually.

iWork 08 is $79, which is just under twice the price of a new Nisus Express license, and you get a whole lot more (including a very, very good word processor).

I don't say this spitefully, but you guys really have just lost a loyal customer who liked your product. If I'm going to have to splash out cash on buying more software, I might as well pay for iWork 08 and get Keynotes/Numbers.
I agree. I just downloaded iWork last night, and it's great. I'm going to be buying that instead of the upgrade here. You get so much more than what this upgrade is giving.

I have turned a lot of people onto Nisus, but I guess I should thank them: if they hadn't have asked such a hefty price for either upgrade (3.0 or Pro) I might not have ever looked into iWork. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for an upgrade, I just think these upgrade prices are steep for what you get.)

Too bad, Nisus is an excellent program. And I like the fact that they're very personal but, for me, it's time to move on.
I agree. As i said earlier, I will NEVER pay for the "upgrade", and nisus lost a customer (and not only one, i presume...). Tough.
r-sparks

Post by r-sparks »

talik wrote:I agree. As i said earlier, I will NEVER pay for the "upgrade", and nisus lost a customer (and not only one, i presume...). Tough.
My Nisus experience was like this -- maybe Nisus might learn something:

1) Bought Nisus Express around January this year and was extremely pleased; I even emailed the Nisus people to tell them. Great software, just the features I need, and excellent OS X integration.

2) Noticed a handful of annoying glitchy bugs over the coming months, most of which I reported here; rather naively, I assumed bug-fix updates would be free, like they are with most other software vendors

3) I downloaded Nisus Pro and played with it when it was released, but right now it's more than I need; still, I didn't rule it out for the future. Still got the same nice interface.

4) Nisus Express 3.0 is released, incorporating bug fixes that I reported, but including dubious new features and not free; in fact, I'd have to pay $30, making it a total of $75 I'd paid Nisus this year. Faced with the sheer cheek of this, I decided to move across to Pages 08. It isn't superior, but it is very good. I miss some of Nisus' features, and to be blunt it's my preferred first choice. But Nisus have slapped me in the fact and I 'ain't gonna stand there while they do it again.

I guess it's bad timing. Had I got more than a year out of Nisus Express before being asked to repurchase it I might have been more amenable to upgrading even to the Pro version. But I will never pay for a bug-fix upgrade, even if a new version number is assigned and a handful of minor features added. It's just sleight of hand and I expected better.
joao

Post by joao »

Oh just quit your whining.

The release is far more than a few bug fixes and a couple of minor features.

Perhaps the timing of your purchase wasn't ideal, but if you take a long-term view of how Nisus has charged for the program, it's still a bargain.

For a program that I use daily, the overall charge comes to a tiny amount per day based on the long-term costs of using the program.

And, as has been stated before, you'll end up paying more for iWork in the long run. And it's not even your first choice program.

There's quite a distinction between inconvenience and tragedy. Just make your decision - either taking a long or short term view - and deal with it.