indent

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
K-9

indent

Post by K-9 »

Ok - I have 1 line of text indented say 5 spaces. I am typing on this line and have stuff go to another line - the next line..... the problem is - I cannot get the 2nd line to match the indent of the first line. Nothing I do will move the word to the right. Any clues? This is svery frsutrating.

if I had more text and it spills over to a third and foruth line and want to indent a bit too - they cannot be tweaked.

Or is this a problem with NWP?

Thank you.
shades

Post by shades »

Howdy. Are you using spaces for the indent? You should never use spaces, always use the rule and adjust the first line indent, even naming that as a paragraph style. Then when you hit the Return key, it will indent properly.

If you want the second line indented (or all lines indented, then you set can first line and paragraph indents identical).
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok thanks - I never used the ruler to adjust anything - always used spaces with other apps and it worked as far as i can remember.

does the ruler only adjust for the said lines? or the whole page/document?

I wanted various spacings -

I have a weird system for writing work notes, etc....and they tend to be all over the place. Kind of like subsets of the previous subsets, etc.

Hope this makes sense.

I am not sure about using this ruler.

I will have to experiment and see if that works or it goofs everything up
Thank you!!!
shades

Post by shades »

It's actually best to set up paragraph styles that include ruler settings. That way you can maintain consistency throughout the entire document. Let's say that one paragraph style is "First Indent". If you have 75 paragraphs that all need to be the same, then set them all to this style. When you press Return, the next paragraph will be the same (unless you defined the paragraph to change styles when you hit Return). If you need to change all 75 paragraphs, you can change just the style sheet, and all 75 will automatically update.

You can set up as many different paragraph styles as you want. For my default document I have the following paragraph styles defined:

Block Quote
Body Text
Body Text Indent
Center
Footer
Header
Heading 1
Heading 2
Heading 3
Heading 4
Heading 5
Normal
Subtitle
Title

(Then if I need various List formats, those can be added as needed throughout the document). This may not work for anyone else, but for me it satisfies all my needs. If I need a Hebrew or Greek paragraph style (which I occasionally do), I add that to the paragraph styles and give them each a name.

The key is that by setting up the style, you will guarantee that the formatting for every paragraph with that style will be identical.

And this will save you considerable time.

BTW, if you used spaces to adjust, that only works if you use a mono-spaced font (i.e. courier).
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok. Thanks so much for your help!