spell check didn't work

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
K-9

spell check didn't work

Post by K-9 »

my daughter who is 10 noticed this and I confirmed it yesterday - there was a word that she mispelled and when she checked it it never found it but went on to the next word even though it was highlighted.

same happened to me. I put the cursor maybe 4 lines above the error and it found it the 2nd try.

that was weird.

in apple mail it comes up and you pick the correction you choose.

in nissus pro it doesn;t work that way or work in general

I thought I noticed this before but now I am sure. both running Tiger not leopard.

any thoughts. If this keeps happening this is a major pain. we both went into the thesaurus to cofirm the word error and had to go backj into NWP to correct it. Strange!

thank you.
gemboy27

an idea and a question

Post by gemboy27 »

Is it possible you added this word to your dictionary for Nisus...

I am not sure how to remove a word from the dictionary ---- but would be interested to know.
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Nope I never do that for anything.
scottwhitlock

Re: an idea and a question

Post by scottwhitlock »

gemboy27 wrote:Is it possible you added this word to your dictionary for Nisus...
I believe Nisus uses the same dictionary that Mac OS X does (including Pages, TextEdit, etc.).

The customized spelling dictionary for these programs is found in your Home folder. The address is ~/Library/Spelling/en (if you're using an English dictionary). This is a text file. If you want to open it up and remove words, be sure to open it in TextWrangler (a free text editor from BareBones software).

When you open this file with TextWrangler, you will see an uninterrupted line of all the words that you have added to your customized dictionary. Go to View - Text Display - Show Invisibles. When you do this, you will now see an upside down red question mark between each word. This is important, because this character tells OS X that words are separate.

In order to easily work with this list, click View - Text Display - Soft Wrap Text. This will softwrap the text. Now, if you want to remove a word from your custom dictionary, delete it (making sure to also delete the following upside down question mark). This will remove it from your customized dictionary. Be sure to save when finished.

Hope this helps.

Scott
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
K-9

Post by K-9 »

No - you guys are missing it - spell check doesn't work as it should! it has nothing to do with words or adding them or alternate spelling etc. Nisus doesn't pick them up or blows right by them. the words are basic everyday types of words. do not make excuses or blame Mac OS X for a possible error in NWP. I do not buy that - sorry.

If these errors keep happening NWP may not be that trustworthy afterall.

just to add - I am happy and like it overall; but when this glitcho appeared a few times that was totally not cool!
scottwhitlock

Post by scottwhitlock »

K-9 wrote:No - you guys are missing it - spell check doesn't work as it should! it has nothing to do with words or adding them or alternate spelling etc. Nisus doesn't pick them up or blows right by them. the words are basic everyday types of words. do not make excuses or blame Mac OS X for a possible error in NWP. I do not buy that - sorry.

If these errors keep happening NWP may not be that trustworthy afterall.

just to add - I am happy and like it overall; but when this glitcho appeared a few times that was totally not cool!
uh, K-9, I was replying to gemboy (hence the quote of him in my reply...). I don't think anyone was making excuses at all...

If no one else is having this problem, it's probably something particular to your machine and not a general NWP problem. I know this is frustrating, but this is how software works. Instead of posting it on this forum, you might try sending feedback or a bug report to Nisus themselves.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Sorry - my fault. I just read your response.

It has been a long week and very sick with the flu on top of it.

My apologies!!!
gemboy27

Re: an idea and a question

Post by gemboy27 »

scottwhitlock wrote:
gemboy27 wrote: When you open this file with TextWrangler, you will see an uninterrupted line of all the words that you have added to your customized dictionary. Go to View - Text Display - Show Invisibles. When you do this, you will now see an upside down red question mark between each word. This is important, because this character tells OS X that words are separate.

In order to easily work with this list, click View - Text Display - Soft Wrap Text. This will softwrap the text. Now, if you want to remove a word from your custom dictionary, delete it (making sure to also delete the following upside down question mark). This will remove it from your customized dictionary. Be sure to save when finished.

Hope this helps.

Scott
thanks
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

K-9: can you submit a document that shows the problem via the menu Help > Send Feedback? Unless it's obvious, please be sure to indicate which word is skipped during the spellcheck. Thanks.
K-9

Post by K-9 »

Ok - let me see if I can get to it today - I have a busy day and guests due here for the weekend.

Thanks Martin!