Image degrades when saved as a template

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Luthier

Post by Luthier »

I'm trying to set up a letterhead with my logo as a document template so I can use it repeatedly. However the logo which prints fine in the original document is horribly degraded in the documents produced by the template. I've tried keeping the image file in the same folder as the template but no difference. Any suggestions?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Are you using the latest version of Pro, version 1.0.3? If so, and the problem still occurs, can you please send in your document using the menu Help > Send Feedback? Thanks.
Luthier

Post by Luthier »

Dear Martin,

Two things, I thought I was on the NisusWriter Express forum because Express is what I bought just yesterday, so I assume it's the latest version. It's 3.0.2

Second, the situation even seems slightly worse, when I first created the document it printed the logo beautifully but now even the original document has degraded. The only thing I did to it was to duplicate it by pressing Apple/D and now both the duplicate and the original show degraded image.

I will send you the file via your feedback system tomorrow.

I hope you will be able to help since otherwise I feel I've wasted my money and will probably revert to Word, alas.

Best wishes,

David
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

David sent his file to us privately and we've determined this is a bug with our handling of TIFF images. We plan on fixing the problem in time for the next update. In the meantime the problem can be worked around by converting the image to another format (eg: JPEG, PICT, etc) before it is inserted into the document.
brifer

Post by brifer »

David sent his file to us privately and we've determined this is a bug with our handling of TIFF images. We plan on fixing the problem in time for the next update. In the meantime the problem can be worked around by converting the image to another format (eg: JPEG, PICT, etc) before it is inserted into the document.
Interesting Martin,
When trying to assemble a personal manual for learning how to play contract bridge, with Bridge Baron, I found the best method of taking screen shots was with Snapz Pro in TIFF format; scaling each with Graphic Converter; then using drag-&-drop into NWP 103.
I assumed the slightly fuzzy result was due to the pictures being a screen shot but maybe TIFF was at fault. Other pictures using jpeg, etc. were useless as I could not scale them.
xiamenese

Re: Image degrades when saved as a template

Post by xiamenese »

brifer wrote:
I assumed the slightly fuzzy result was due to the pictures being a screen shot but maybe TIFF was at fault. Other pictures using jpeg, etc. were useless as I could not scale them.
Can you not use PDF ... that scales ...?

Mark
brifer

Post by brifer »

Not really. After trying a couple of applications such as Grab and SnapZ Pro, using the latter to make a TIFF file with Graphic Converter to scale between 50% and 90% was as automatic as I needed. This also gave the best result after printing the NWP file via a HP Color Laser printer.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

don't know about your logo, but if outlines: just "Print to/Save as PDF" and "Crop" in Preview then, for best quality - maybe of help?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

brifer wrote:
Not really. After trying a couple of applications such as Grab and SnapZ Pro, using the latter to make a TIFF file with Graphic Converter to scale between 50% and 90% was as automatic as I needed. This also gave the best result after printing the NWP file via a HP Color Laser printer.
I have used SnapZ Pro X to take a screenshot of my universities logo and saved it out directly to PDF, not used TIFF at all. I can put it in an NWP document and resize it at will without it degrading.

You say SnapZ Pro ... Pro X? or is there another version that doesn't allow you to save it as PDF?

Mark
Luthier

Post by Luthier »

brifer wrote:
Can you scale it using Tiff and Graphic Converter as before and then save the result as a JPEG? This worked for me.