Nisus Writer Pro and iTunes response

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
akawamu

Nisus Writer Pro and iTunes response

Post by akawamu »

I noticed that when NSP is running, iTunes get very slow so that it is almost unusable. It does not respond any user action for 30-40 seconds. Strangely, the CPU activity does not rise at all meanwhile.

I am using Nisus Writer Pro, 1.0.3. Tried 1.1, but same result.

OS X 10.5.2, 2.4 Ghz PB 17 Core 2 Duo, 4G mem.

Langaguages, Japanese, English, Thai.

Japanese IPM EG Bridge.

Does anyone has similar issue? Or this is particular to my multilingual setting?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's very odd- and you're not doing anything very intensive in NWP? Eg: you're just typing along. And when you say the CPU activity does not rise, do you mean NWP or iTunes?
akawamu

thanks for response

Post by akawamu »

Thanks.

While iTunes is losing response, I am doing nothing with any program.

But with your suggestion, I looked carefully the processes, and I found that when I click playlist in iTunes while running Nisus, ATSServer rise up to 15 % of CPU usage from 0, and iTunes seems to be waiting just for it to finish.

This rise of ATSServer activity does not occur with other applications as far as I know, and does not occur to iTunes if I quit Nisus Pro.

I am using Thonburi for Thai, but I do not use Thai in iTunes. Anyway, if I close the all documents of Nisus, it does not change anything.

I tried to clear the cash of the ATSServer, but I could not find one.

That is what I found so far!!

akio
akawamu

One more thing!

Post by akawamu »

I forgot to mention the activities of nisus and itunes. both does not change significantly. iTunes respond to the clicking, but after that get quiet and wait for ATSServer finish its work, whatever it may be doing! Nothing happens with nisus activity when I click iTunes.

It looks like nisus activates certain function of the OS that create strange problems with iTunes....
akawamu

One more thing, again!

Post by akawamu »

I found that while ATSServer is getting fanatic, other applications also suffer, though not as apparent as iTunes. Nisus becomes considerably slower in scrolling and typing, though ATSServer just takes up 15 % or so.
Bob Stern

Post by Bob Stern »

The problem is ATSServer. iTunes is just an innocent victim. See:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=6742983
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

And from that discussion: http://daringfireball.net/2005/03/font_caches

Which should appeal to all sorts of people, particularly tech heads.

For innocent bystanders, try deleting the font caches, he suggests.

By the way, iTunes can never be *innocent* nor a *victim*, by definition.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
akawamu

missing caches

Post by akawamu »

Thanks a lot for your comments!!

In the link suggested by Geoff, I found a list of caches to be deleted.

Unfortunately I found only one among the suggested, which is com.apple.ATS.plist in /Library/Caches in my home directory. Maybe other cashes are integrated and now different names? Maybe I should just delete all the caches after backup.

In /System/Library/Caches:
fontTablesAnnex
(fontTablesAnnex contains the character encodings/mappings for all of the fonts on your system. Information in this file can lead to garbled text.)
com.apple.ATS.System.fcache
com.apple.ATSServer.FODB_System
In /Library/Caches:
com.apple.ATS
In your home directory’s Library/Preferences folder:
com.apple.ATS.plist
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

All I found was a folder: com.apple.ATS.

OS X.4.11

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com