Feature Request: Footnotes in Full Screen?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
samuelas

Feature Request: Footnotes in Full Screen?

Post by samuelas »

Would it be possible to make footnotes readable in full screen mode? I love using full screen (in the retro look that the Nisus manual suggests... maybe I would be more productive on a DOS machine), but in my scholarly writing I use footnote citations, which makes for a distracting experience in full screen mode.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I would have thought you could do so using the note reference tooltips, but this isn't working. I'll file a bug.
Phrasikleia

Another very bad bug

Post by Phrasikleia »

One of the better features of NWP is its Full Screen mode; it's what first attracted me to the application. However, it's useless to me without support for footnotes.
Derick

Post by Derick »

+1 for this.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I fully second this request! I dearly miss the footnotes in Full Screen mode, and hope they will be added in a future update.
thf

Re: Feature Request: Footnotes in Full Screen?

Post by thf »

I think, if such a feature is added, the footnotes in full page view have to stay at the bottom of the page and it has to be configurable how many lines they consume. On a 13' display i don't want to waste much space with the footnotes and i don't want any sign of a page break in full screen.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If such a feature were added the footnotes would likely all appear en masse at the very end of Full Screen view, much as endnotes do now in Page view.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

That would be perfect for brief footnotes of the kind: "See p. 41", or "I shall return to this point on another occasion". But long and complex footnotes like those which are usual in certain branches of the academic world, especially the humanities, are a living part of the line of argument, and therefore should always be close to the passage they are referring to. That's why, being an academic, I would prefer to see adopted in NWP the kind of Full Screen one finds for instance in Mellel: footnotes at the foot of the page, as in 'normal' Page View.

Am I alone in preferring this solution, or are there others who share this point of view?

Anyway, I think this point should be considered carefully.
samuelas

Post by samuelas »

I think the approach Timotheus talks about would be very useful. But maybe there is a more Nisus-like option--a kind of footnote view like the one in "normal" view in Word that would be activated when creating or editing a footnote (or always, optionally), but can also be hidden if the writer wishes.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Yes, that would be a good solution too. The important thing is that it must be possible to view (and to modify) a passage and the footnote(s) which belong(s) to that passage within one and the same window. This offers an ease of work which is invaluable.
TommyW

Post by TommyW »

I also would appreciate a ' Fullscreen Page Mode'.

I'd generally prefer the existing Fullscreen mode, but on occasion I'd like to be switch to it.
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

Nisus Writer Classic had an "footnote view", where you could see all your footnotes at once. This is great for proof-reading and editing your footnotes. It is similar to the footnote view of Word in "normal" view, where you also get all your notes.

Such a "footnote-editor" would be a great addition to Nisus Writer Pro.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Since we are speaking of Full Screen, may I voice here for the auto-hiding of the vertical scrollbar while in this mode? This would remove the last distraction left.

Paolo
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

If you mean the auto-hiding like in Scrivener's Full Screen mode, where (optionally) the scrollbar pops up when you hover over it with the mouse, yes, that would be an elegant solution.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Yep, I mean exactly that kind of solution!