Bug Report for Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.6 Running in OS X 10.9

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
wwgreaves

Bug Report for Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.6 Running in OS X 10.9

Post by wwgreaves »

I am running Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.6 and OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).

In the Typography window within the Font Window (accessed by clicking on the gear in the Font Window), everything seems to be working as it should under OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) EXCEPT:

When I click on Small Caps for Lower Case letters, the change is made, but I cannot toggle back to regular lower case letters. The change is permanent unless I click on Edit > Undo or ⌘Z.

In Small Caps for Upper Case, the toggling works fine — or at least it does in Arno Pro.

Hoping this bug can be fixed quickly, easily, and soon, I remain faithfully yours,

Bill Greaves
Elbrecht

Re: Bug Report for Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.6 Running in OS X 10

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

Arno Pro is an OpenType font - isn't it? Then the problem is with Apple missing proper OpenType handling - I would guess…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Bill contacted us privately about this bug too, and although we've already responded via email, I'll post here as well:

This does look to be an issue with NWP and not OSX typographical handling itself. We've filed it and will take a look at getting it fixed. Thanks!
Nick_Mullins

Post by Nick_Mullins »

I've noticed a few things too since I upgraded to Mavericks. They mostly have to do with style.

If I highlight a line of text in two different font sizes and then change the font size, not all the text will change size. Usually the larger font type won't change. I have to highlight it on its own to change its size.

I had an odd problem whenI was setting indents. I was setting the indent to .5, but after while Nisus set one line to .46 and the other to .47. I went back in and changed them back to .5 and they didn't change again.

I think in both cases the font I was using was Avenir.

I also have this annoying problem that the scroll bar on the tools palette blocks out some of the information on the palette. For instance, it covers one of the buttons to change the font size.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Nick:
Nick_Mullins wrote:If I highlight a line of text in two different font sizes and then change the font size, not all the text will change size. Usually the larger font type won't change. I have to highlight it on its own to change its size.

I had an odd problem whenI was setting indents. I was setting the indent to .5, but after while Nisus set one line to .46 and the other to .47. I went back in and changed them back to .5 and they didn't change again.
I wonder if you're not being confused by a change we made with how the palette steppers (up/down arrows) work. They now adjust all selected values individually, whether it's font size, paragraph spacing, etc.

For example, suppose you had selected a piece of text with two font sizes, one word of size 12pt, and another with a size of 20pt. If you click the up arrow once, you'd wind up with font sizes 13pt and 21pt respectively, not a uniform font size of 13pt.

If you want to enforce a consistent value across all selected text, you can do any one of the following:
1. Hold down the Command key when clicking the up/down arrows.
2. Change the font size by clicking into the text field and typing in a new font size using the keyboard.
3. Enforce the first selected existing font size uniformly by clicking into the text field and pressing the Enter (or Return) key.

I hope this is clear. Please let us know if you have any questions or this does not explain the behavior you observe.
I also have this annoying problem that the scroll bar on the tools palette blocks out some of the information on the palette. For instance, it covers one of the buttons to change the font size.
This is an issue I'm not aware of. Is it something you can reproduce at will, or does it occur intermittently?
wwgreaves

Post by wwgreaves »

Martin,

I updated to version 2.0.7, and small caps can now be toggled on and off in every OpenType font that I tried.

Many, many thanks.

Onward —
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Great, I'm glad to hear it! Thanks for letting us know and updating this forum post.