Feature Request: exception list for Display as Capitalized

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sebwin

Feature Request: exception list for Display as Capitalized

Post by sebwin »

I've seen this very recently somewhere, can't recall where:
A list in the preferences of words to exclude from the Display as Capitalized function.
That way those little words like to, from, a, the, etc. could be exempt from capitalization.
That feature, in NWP, would naturally need to be sensitive to the writing language…
Sebastian
sebwin

Re: Feature Request: exception list for Display as Capitaliz

Post by sebwin »

Found the app: the reference manager Sente.
Here's what their preference pane looks like:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 17.25.49 no-alpha.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 17.25.49 no-alpha.png (96.31 KiB) Viewed 14659 times
Sebastian
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

This would be a very useful thing to have. I think all word processors should do this because I very frequently wish to have headings in which each word is has a capital letter but excluding words like "to" and "from".

This could be done with a macro in NWP, I'm pretty sure. I could have done it with the Nisus Writer for the classic OS, easy!, however NWP for OS X is a bit different and the same macro doesn't seem to work. I have no knowledge of perl which would be useful for macro creation with Nisus Writer Pro.

However a hardwired version with an editable list of excluded words in the preferences would be very useful.
Patrick
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Here's my attempt at a macro to do this. Note that the package includes two macros. One is used to adjust the exempted words, but it shouldn't need to be run in general, and in fact, the main capitalization macro will call it the first time. After that you only need to run that macro, if you want to change the exempted words.
Once set, the exempted word will be stored in the user registry, so they will always be available, and the capitalization macro will work on it's own.
Title Case Macros.zip
(7.86 KiB) Downloaded 898 times
philip
sebwin

Post by sebwin »

Thanks, Philip, for your macro solution!
Though, really, my request should have been for an style option Display as Title Case. And an implementation would really have to adhere to the different title case conventions of supported writing languages.
Can these two features—language sensitivity and implementation as a style—reasonably be achieved with a macro? (I haven't looked at yours yet, Philip.)
But really, I think this is sufficiently fundamental to word processing to be included in the NWP itself—with a nice GUI for editing the exceptions list for the different languages.
Sebastian
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

sebwin wrote:Thanks, Philip, for your macro solution!
Though, really, my request should have been for an style option Display as Title Case.
That's easy to change. Open the capitalization macro and replace the lines that change the case. I was thinking of doing it that way, but… well, I was in a hurry :)
Title Case Macros 2.zip
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 911 times
Note: I also noticed that I forgot to include 'the' among the default words.
sebwin wrote:And an implementation would really have to adhere to the different title case conventions of supported writing languages.
What would that entail? Different lists of exempted words for each language? Or is there anything else? I'll give it some thought. In principle this should be doable.
sebwin wrote:Can these two features—language sensitivity and implementation as a style—reasonably be achieved with a macro? (I haven't looked at yours yet, Philip.)
But really, I think this is sufficiently fundamental to word processing to be included in the NWP itself—with a nice GUI for editing the exceptions list for the different languages.
I totally agree with you. A macro like this is never meant to be a replacement for a feature. It's meant to be a replacement for waiting for a feature.
philip
Patrick J

Post by Patrick J »

phspaelti wrote:Here's my attempt at a macro to do this. Note that the package includes two macros. One is used to adjust the exempted words, but it shouldn't need to be run in general, and in fact, the main capitalization macro will call it the first time. After that you only need to run that macro, if you want to change the exempted words.
Once set, the exempted word will be stored in the user registry, so they will always be available, and the capitalization macro will work on it's own.
Title Case Macros.zip
I've downloaded the macros and I'm going to find them very useful.

When I saw the subject I thought that a macro guru would be along with some macros for this ☺

It would be great if Nisus could create a built in solution with an editable list of exclusions like has been shown in the Sente application.
Patrick
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This sounds like a nice feature to me, we'll get it filed. Thank you!
sebwin

Post by sebwin »

Great! :)
Thank you all, guys, for your input!
Sebastian